website statistics

Trampoline Gymnastics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

hckošice

I re-read the qualification system, and this line: 

The highest placed male and highest placed female athlete, based on the results of the Finals from each Continental Championships 2020 will each qualify one (1) quota place for their NOC, provided the continent has not already an NOC qualified under Criteria 1 (2019 World Championships) or 3 (2019/2020 Trampoline World Cup Series). To me this means Oceania does not get a continental spot, only Africa will, because Oceania stands to gain athletes through the world series.

This means 9 spots will be given to men through the world series and 8 for the women.

Men 

So these 9 should get the quotas based on the current ranking:

:BLR  :CHN :RUS:JPN  :NZL  :POR :POR:AUS:UKR  

:GBR and :ESP would get the reallocated host + tripartite spots if the World Cup Rankings are allocated first. However, I don't think this is the case as the qualification system does not explicitly say this (unlike the other parts of the document). If these are reallocated first, :NZL and :POR would get the quotas, bumping those two world cup quotas to :CAN and :KAZ 

Women

So these 8 should get the quotas based on the current ranking:

:CHN:JPN:GBR:RUS:USA:NZL  :AUS :MEX   

:GER and :UKR would get the host + tripartie reallocation, in either scenario. 

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

The highest placed male and highest placed female athlete, based on the results of the Finals from each Continental Championships 2020 will each qualify one (1) quota place for their NOC, provided the continent has not already an NOC qualified under Criteria 1 (2019 World Championships) or 3 (2019/2020 Trampoline World Cup Series). To me this means Oceania does not get a continental spot, only Africa will, because Oceania stands to gain athletes through the world series.

This means 9 spots will be given to men through the world series and 8 for the women.

Men 

:GBR and :ESP would get the reallocated host + tripartite spots if the World Cup Rankings are allocated first. However, I don't think this is the case as the qualification system does not explicitly say this (unlike the other parts of the document). If these are reallocated first, :NZL and :POR would get the quotas, bumping those two world cup quotas to :CAN and :KAZ 

Women

I'm not sure Portugal can earn multiple spots on the World Cup Ranking the qualification document says: "The highest ranked eligible athletes up to the 14th quota place will earn quota places for their NOCs (max. one per NOC)."

5 minutes ago, james89 said:

I'm not sure Portugal can earn multiple spots on the World Cup Ranking the qualification document says: "The highest ranked eligible athletes up to the 14th quota place will earn quota places for their NOCs (max. one per NOC)."

Interesting! Thank you for pointing that out. That means :CAN is officially qualified in either scenario. :GEO would replace :CAN in the second scenario.

I am not going to even start with the women's Gymnastics Canada did not send Samantha Smith thinking they couldn't qualify a second women, and now she can't go to the Olympics.

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Interesting! Thank you for pointing that out. That means :CAN is officially qualified in either scenario. :GEO would replace :CAN in the second scenario.

I am not going to even start with the women's Gymnastics Canada did not send Samantha Smith thinking they couldn't qualify a second women, and now she can't go to the Olympics.

She could have totally qualified with a solid performance at the last World Cup. Ugh - that's annoying. 

This is a very confusing system and I never even tried to understand it fully, I have to say. My question is: how many quotas will be distributed at the Pan American Championships? 1 for a male gymnast, or 2 (1 for a male gymnast and 1 for a female gymnast)? 

34 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This is a very confusing system and I never even tried to understand it fully, I have to say. My question is: how many quotas will be distributed at the Pan American Championships? 1 for a male gymnast, or 2 (1 for a male gymnast and 1 for a female gymnast)? 

At most one male. No female quotas since Canada qualified. However the system later says if a continent qualifies through the world rankings (which :CAN would) then a continent won't get a spot through the continental championships. This process is so convoluted.

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

Men 

Women

By my reading, 4 nations can get a second quota, if they already have a first quota in the worlds. However NO NOC can get two quotas from the world series alone, so Portugal cannot pick up two through the series. 

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

At most one male. No female quotas since Canada qualified. However the system later says if a continent qualifies through the world rankings (which :CAN would) then a continent won't get a spot through the continental championships. This process is so convoluted.

Thank you. Too bad Brazil can't qualify, but that's to be expected, really. I'm glad Mexico will qualify, though.