website statistics

Poll 39|100 | Controversial Topic | If you had the power to remove one of the Olympic Sports/Discipline at Tokyo what would it be?

Poll 39/100  

62 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the power to remove one of the Olympic Sports/Discipline at Tokyo what would it be?

• Artistic Swimming
    • Rythmic Gymnastics
    • Boxing
    • Weightlifting
    • Greco Roman Wrestling
    • Trampoline
    • Surfing
    • Skateboarding
    • Baseball/Softball
    • Sport Climbing
    • BMX Freestyle
    • Men's U23 Football
    • Fencing
    • Golf
    • Modern Pentathlon
    • Karate
    • 3*3 Basketball
    • Any Other

22 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Rowing needs to cut 24 quotas for 2024...

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

How can they remove even more quotas in rowing without dropping events? It's pretty skeleton as is. Eights already has the least amount of entrants outside of Baseball/Softball.

I’ve been doing some mock qualification/quota allocation systems. Rowing needs to lose 24 quotas. It’s easy to lose 8 by bringing the doubles/pairs events down to 12 entries from 13. That leaves 8 quotas per gender left that need to be removed. There’s no perfect remedy for removing those quotas from the current allocation. The options (as I see them) are: lose the 7th boat in eights, lose some quotas in single sculls, or lose a boat in the quadruple/fours. I think it’s going to be a tough decision for World Rowing, and it will definitely have an impact on the future of the sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve been doing some mock qualification/quota allocation systems. Rowing needs to lose 24 quotas. It’s easy to lose 8 by bringing the doubles/pairs events down to 12 entries from 13. That leaves 8 quotas per gender left that need to be removed. There’s no perfect remedy for removing those quotas from the current allocation. The options (as I see them) are: lose the 7th boat in eights, lose some quotas in single sculls, or lose a boat in the quadruple/fours. I think it’s going to be a tough decision for World Rowing, and it will definitely have an impact on the future of the sport.

6 entries in an Olympic event is too low lol. I think cutting one spot from each of the continental qualifiers + worlds (4 per gender) for the single sculls could work.

46 minutes ago, zob79 said:

It's exactly the opposite, my friend. Only you and some other former ex-British slaves play this so-called sport, while rowing is really universal since ancient times. Anyway, you're not the smartest man alive comparing a sport with a subdivision of another sport...

From my understanding (I could be misremembering) agenda 2020 allows revision of a sport on a event by event basis rather than the whole sport, as it used to be.

1 hour ago, zob79 said:

It's exactly the opposite, my friend. Only you and some other former ex-British slaves play this so-called sport, while rowing is really universal since ancient times. Anyway, you're not the smartest man alive comparing a sport with a subdivision of another sport...

To be fair, field hockey (unlike cricket) is being played at competitive level by a number of non Anglo-Saxon/"ex-British Empire" nations, like Germany or Benelux

14 hours ago, zob79 said:

I didnt tell to remove rowing. Only coxed eights must be removed.Anyhow I don't want to argue with you because you are busy selling your house right since New Zealand defeated Romania in Men's Eights in Lucerne Regatta.