website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Tripartite Invitations Tracker

3 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

why the quotas in marathon track and field i am not adding? on wikipedia I saw wild cards for Brunei, Cook Islands, Timor, Tonga .. Are they reliable?

I won't be adding wild cards for athletics and swimming as they were not decided by the tripartite commission.

As for those wild cards, they are not reliable as technically a different athlete from that continent could score a higher world ranking in a different event and take the quota.

38 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Wait, gymnastics? Pakistan has not sent gymnasts to any of the World Championships in recent years!

The only time I've even heard about a Pakistani gymnast was at the Southeast Asian Championships in the mid 2000s.

What was Pakistan doing at Southeast Asian championships? 

38 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Wait, gymnastics? Pakistan has not sent gymnasts to any of the World Championships in recent years!

The only time I've even heard about a Pakistani gymnast was at the Southeast Asian Championships in the mid 2000s.

Pretty sure they are not in Southeast Asia ;)

Saying that they’re registering badminton is a bit shocking too.. I think Sri Lanka has like 1000x more chance to get one

20 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Not off the top of my head... Usually if you are good enough to medal, you are good enough to qualify normally.

The most likely sport for this to happen would be taekwondo (and karate if it ever returns) due to the low number of overall quotas.

lots of medal contenders (including at least 3 Olympic Champions) failed to qualify in wrestling. but these kind of "medal contenders" are usually from strong nations and they are not eligible for the Tripartite invitation.

someone asked me this question today and my instant answer was yes! but then when I started to think, nobody came to my mind :d I assume nobody won a medal with "Tripartite invitation" but I think it happened with wild cards before when they weren't this strict.

I remember back in 1996 when Russia failed to qualify a full wrestling team, FILA (former UWW) gave them a wild card to have a full team in Atlanta, that guy (Chechenol Mongush) finished 4th but I assume someone won a medal with those wild cards in other sports. (I mean Wild Card for Russia in wrestling is the last thing you would imagine)

This article says Kye Sun-hui won Olympic gold in Judo in 1996 thanks to a wild card, I don't fully trust ITG though

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1092311/kye-sun-hui-north-korea

9 minutes ago, Dolby said:

What was Pakistan doing at Southeast Asian championships? 

5 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Yup, I got the facts completely wrong. It was actually the Central South Asian Championships, and it was not in the mid-2000s, but instead early 2010s. I found the page with the results that I remember reading at the time.

11 minutes ago, MHSN said:

This article says Kye Sun-hui won Olympic gold in Judo in 1996 thanks to a wild card, I don't fully trust ITG though

Well, an article from Dong A Ilbo might help to support this https://www.donga.com/en/article/all/20010730/208225/1/Women-s-Judo-Era-of-Kye-Sun-Hui

22 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I think in this case they're right...

I remeber very well the final between Kye Sun and Tamura...it was one of the biggest shock of the Games...

56 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Saying that they’re registering badminton is a bit shocking too.. I think Sri Lanka has like 1000x more chance to get one

:PAK Mahoor Shahzad in Women's Singles is in 121 rank. Not sure how likely to qualify via Tripartite

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

I remember back in 1996 when Russia failed to qualify a full wrestling team, FILA (former UWW) gave them a wild card to have a full team in Atlanta, that guy (Chechenol Mongush) finished 4th but I assume someone won a medal with those wild cards in other sports. 

Ryszard Wolny from Poland got such a wild card and then won Gold in 68kg Greco-Roman wrestling category in Atlanta 1996. 

But those wild cards were actually something very different from today's tripartite invitations.