website statistics

Track Cycling Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

hckošice

1 hour ago, LowerSaxony said:

Thanks for the nice overview. Question: The UCI document reads that the World Champion in Team Pursuit gets 1500 points - while the World Champion of 2019 in Men's Team Pursuit (AUS) got 3000points? If this years champion only get 1500 points, why aren't all teams up to SUI already qualified? No races are discarded, right? Or what did I get wrong:p?

World Champs give double points for the Olympic ranking. I copy-paste from a previous post for more details:

Looks like they decided to double the World Championships points for the Olympic Ranking:

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/official-documents/tokyo-2020---olympic-games/olympic-rankings_track_final_en_as-of-26-11-18.pdf?sfvrsn=be99ad8b_16

3. Ranking Calculation

Each UCI Track Olympic Ranking includes results of the following qualification events: - The last two (2) editions of each Elite Continental Championships - The best three (3) UCI Track Cycling World Cup results of each season 2018-2019 and 2019- 2020 (with at least one result outside of the nation’s continent per season) - The 2019 and 2020 UCI Elite Track Cycling World Championships

The UCI Track Olympic Ranking is based on the UCI points scales as per art. 3.3.010, with the exception of World Championships for which the points scales are doubled.

On 28/01/2020 at 08:55, Andry84 said:

I have already explained 5 times, who finish better between France and Belgium in Berlin will fly to Tokyo, and in my opinion France is better with a good margin.

France finishes 0.283 ahead of Belgium. They're 9th and 10th respectively (outside of the 1st round)

Unless some unexpected disqualification happens after this round, here are the Olympic quotas in women’s team pursuit:

:AUS :CAN :FRA :GER :GBR :ITA :NZL  :USA

France overtook Belgium for the last spot. Sadly for Ireland, even winning the Champs give them enough points to surpass the French team.

Edited by mrv86

As with the women, unless a team get disqualified, these are the Olympic quotas in men’s team pursuit:

:AUS :CAN :DEN :GER :GBR :ITA :NZL :SUI

Now is the French team who will sadly miss out, despite a good effort, as their main hope was that Germany or Seitzerland get cut out in qualification.

:GER and :SUI are not yet mathematically qualified, unless I'm mistaken. If either one finished 8th and France will be World Champion, than :FRA qualifies instead of the team finishing 8th. It's rather unlikely, especially France winning gold, but it's still possible. 

10 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

:GER and :SUI are not yet mathematically qualified, unless I'm mistaken. If either one finished 8th and France will be World Champion, than :FRA qualifies instead of the team finishing 8th. It's rather unlikely, especially France winning gold, but it's still possible. 

I think it' already decided, no chance for France to make the top 8....

12 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

The only chance for France it’s either one of those teams gets disqualified. Even if the win and one out of Germany or Switzerland finishes 8th, the points difference will only be of 1350 points, not enough as Germany holds a 1370 lesd over France and the Swiss have 1510 points more than the French.