website statistics

Track Cycling Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

hckošice

UCI have updated their rankings and in the men's madison they have Hong Kong finishing 30 points ahead of Ireland meaning they would get the last spot, and Ireland wouldn't

Perhaps one you who understand the scoring better can explain that to me because pretty much everybody, including the Irish cycling federation, thought that Ireland had qualified

4 minutes ago, dodge said:

UCI have updated their rankings and in the men's madison they have Hong Kong finishing 30 points ahead of Ireland meaning they would get the last spot, and Ireland wouldn't

Perhaps one you who understand the scoring better can explain that to me because pretty much everybody, including the Irish cycling federation, thought that Ireland had qualified

Well, until last week you only would have got 4 points for a DNF, but now all of a sudden you can get 780 apparently. It's quite bizzarre.

They also changed DNF points from 2019 championships... :wacko:

#banbestmen

Have any other rankings changed?  Pretty incredible that Hong Kong is the beneficiary in both madison events with Ireland and Ukraine missing out

If you look at the women's madison event in Berlin, Ukraine finished 12th, Switzerland finished 13th and HK in 14th

Yet in the UCI ranks, HK move up 3 places leaping above Ukraine and Switzerland

This is crazy (and I can see it getting messy too)

A.
Bunch Races Riders who do not finish qualifying heats will be designated with one of the following depending on the reason for them not finishing: Did Not Finish (DNF); Did Not Start (DNS); Disqualified (DSQ). These riders shall not progress to the next round of the event. The final classification of the event shall be drawn up in groups in the following order:

1. All riders competing in the final and finishing (based on the UCI Regulations) will be ranked and will score UCI points according to the UCI Regulations.
2. All riders competing in the final and not finishing due to having been withdrawn by the Commissaires or suffering a mishap (indicated as DNF) will be given a tied ranking for the next available position after the riders in group 1 and will score points for that position.the UCI
3. In the case where qualifying heats were held, all riders competing in the final and not finishing due to abandoning the race (indicated as DNF) will be given a tied ranking of the last available position in the race, and will score the UCI points for that position. In all other cases (when qualifying heats are not organised), all riders competing in the final and not  finishing due to abandoning the race (indicated as DNF) will not be assigned a rank, and score no UCI points.
4. All riders qualified for the final through qualifying heats, but not starting (indicated as DNS) will be given a tied ranking for the next available rank after group 3, and will score the UCI points for that position.
5. All riders qualified for the final but disqualified (indicated as DSQ) will not be assigned a rank, and will score no UCI points.
6. All riders competing in the qualifying heats, and finishing, but not qualifying for the final will be given a tied ranking for the next available rank after group 4, and will score the UCI points for that position.
7. All riders not finishing the qualifying heats, forwhatever reason (grouped first as DN

Above are the UCI rules on ranking points. It seems the UCI are correct in awarding points to the DNFs as per 2 above. How the Irish Cycling Federation missed this is beyond me.

The awarding of points was known. They just awarded them more than in previous years, and retrospectively changed the results for previous years too.

As I said above, Last week Ukraine were ranked ahead of HK, then finished ahead of them at the World Championships and are now ranked below them

The *Only* explanation for this is that the points for previous races were changed.  

17 minutes ago, dodge said:

The awarding of points was known. They just awarded them more than in previous years, and retrospectively changed the results for previous years too.

As I said above, Last week Ukraine were ranked ahead of HK, then finished ahead of them at the World Championships and are now ranked below them

The *Only* explanation for this is that the points for previous races were changed.  

Last Week Hong Kong were on 5680, Portugal on 5210 and Ireland on 5200. Ireland came 11th in Final and therefore got 2 x 615= 1230 bringing them to 6430. Hong Kong came joint 16th and were awarded 2 x 390 bringing them to 6460. On Sunday I saw provisional results which had Hong Kong getting 2 x 360 as in 17th and last as they went out before the USA. This would be wrong according to my reading of the rules.

Then again Rules 2 and 3 which I quoted above seem totally contradictory.

The slence from Irish Cycling is worrying though.  

12 minutes ago, dodge said:

Presume they’re waiting on official word from UCI

The changes are even more stark in the women’s madison so regardless of the Irish involvement, it will need explaining

Very True. Utterly heratbreaking though for Englis and Downey.