website statistics

Sprint Canoeing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

hckošice

Canoe sprint is much like shooting (only without MQS). A nation can do whatever they want as long as they compete in the events where they qualified directly.

Specifically, using their six women's kayak athletes, China can theoretically enter two boats for both K1 events, and an additional K2 boat. But the athletes entered for these events must compete in K2 or K4.

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

That is incorrect, China would be allowed to compete in the K1 events. In fact, a nation can now enter up to two boats per event. The only requirement is that the nation must compete in the event they originally qualified in. So China can't have athletes compete in the K1 200m and K1 500m and skip the K2 500m in which they originally qualified in.

Are you sure about this? I remember this rule was during Rio 2016 or at least a bit similar. But I also read somewhere, can remember where it was that this rule is no longer valid .....

3 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Are you sure about this? I remember this rule was during Rio 2016 or at least a bit similar. But I also read somewhere, can remember where it was that this rule is no longer valid .....

QS is pretty clear about this. Double starters are a subject of only NOC selection.

B.4.3. An athlete participating at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 may participate in more than one (1) event in Canoe Sprint at the Olympic Games. This is subject to the selection of the athlete by their NOC.

#banbestmen

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

QS is pretty clear about this. Double starters are a subject of only NOC selection.

B.4.3. An athlete participating at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 may participate in more than one (1) event in Canoe Sprint at the Olympic Games. This is subject to the selection of the athlete by their NOC.

Thank you, I kinda missed this information! 

After reading the document I still have a confusion. 

B.4.1. An NOC can enter a maximum of two (2) boats per event at the Olympic Games, Tokyo 2020.

So if a NOC obtained C2 and C1 quota, the C1 athlete and one of the C2 athletes could enter 2 boats in C1 event. While it doesn't clearly requires that at least 1 boat obtained boat quota place. So does it mean if the NOC obtained C2 quota only, the 2 C2 athletes could also participate C1 at the same time and also sent 2 boats? @dcro@JoshMartini007

The same logic also applies to K4 and K2, K2 and K1.

2 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

After reading the document I still have a confusion. 

B.4.1. An NOC can enter a maximum of two (2) boats per event at the Olympic Games, Tokyo 2020.

So if a NOC obtained C2 and C1 quota, the C1 athlete and one of the C2 athletes could enter 2 boats in C1 event. While it doesn't clearly requires that at least 1 boat obtained boat quota place. So does it mean if the NOC obtained C2 quota only, the 2 C2 athletes could also participate C1 at the same time and also sent 2 boats? @dcro@JoshMartini007

The same logic also applies to K4 and K2, K2 and K1.

Correct, though I'm not sure if many nations will choose to go that route...

Yeah. I'm sure most of the medal outsiders, dark horses, or even just those hoping for one final, will choose to contest their one and only main event. We may end up with some London 2012 slalom replay, when only :CZE:GBR used an option of having two C2 boats...

#banbestmen

:ESP TEAM SPAIN :ESP

• K1 200: Carlos Arévalo & Saúl Craviotto
  • K2 1000: Francisco Cubelos-Iñigo Peña
  • K4 500: Carlos Arévalo-Saúl Craviotto-Marcus Walz-Rodrigo Germade
  • K1 1000: Undecided (Francisco Cubelos or Marcus Walz if they want)
  • C2 1000: Cayetano García-Pablo Martínez
  • C1 1000: Undecided

• K1 200: Teresa Portela
  • K1 500: Isabel Contreras
  • C1 200: Undecided (internal selection between María Cobera, Antía Jacomé and Antía Otero)