website statistics

Women's 3x3 Basketball FIBA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

Totallympics

I have a question. If Germany doesn't make it at this tournament, do they have a chance to play at the second one? Germany was not qualified for the Olympics 2012 or 2016, so they should be allowed to play. But I can't find the World Ranking from 2019 anymore and don't know if they were high enough in the ranking to have a chance to make it into the field.

16 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

I have a question. If Germany doesn't make it at this tournament, do they have a chance to play at the second one? Germany was not qualified for the Olympics 2012 or 2016, so they should be allowed to play. But I can't find the World Ranking from 2019 anymore and don't know if they were high enough in the ranking to have a chance to make it into the field.

Look at the groups, they were made using serpentine system on that ranking, so it should be FRA, IRI, NED, ITA, TPE, JPN, EST, USA, GER (+ HUN already qualified to the second tournament as host but FRA and USA not eligible, so GER 8th in line for 6 places)

Well, one day until the start so I will try to predict real favourites and dark horses.

Favourites:

1.France :FRA

The best team in the world with enormous players. They just can's miss Olympics. 

2.Spain :ESP

They have a well-experienced team. They started to shine since 2019, now they are a real menace for all teams. 

3.Hungary :HUN

They are just silver world medalists. They can be unstoppable in this tournament.

Dark horses:

1. USA :USA

Can they be a huge TEAM, not just wonderful players?

2. Italy :ITA

Can they repeat their success of 2018? Let's see

3. Australia :AUS

Their world ranking doesn't give them an easy tournament, but let's hope they will beat these troubles.

I hope the 5x5 experience of the American players will help them in this tournament in some shape or form. I know that the American female players may not play much of the 3x3 game as the other contenders in this qualification tournament, but hopefully their skills and technique will be enough to guide them through an Olympic berth. 

I am expecting the same thing that happened to us in mixed curling. If the top tier basketball nations will take it seriously now that it's an Olympic event, just like how the top tier curling nations did in mixed doubles once it was at the Games, we won't have much a chance to qualify. 

The Spanish team is formed by players of the 2nd 5x5 division, not even the 1st... However, they have had good results together, taking advantage of the low level in general of the sport, so hopefully they can get the spot. France is going to win this tournament and the US has some good players, so they should make it too. The last spot will be a tough fight between Spain, Australia, Italy and Hungary. I haven't seen the Australians, so I don't know if they are good or not, but Italy and Hungary have a similar level compared to us.