website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

On 08/10/2019 at 14:42, thiago_simoes said:

Now that qualification through the World Championships is finished, the next events that offer Olympic quotas are continental championships and the World Cup series. Depending on the results of these events, gymnasts who are waiting for a reallocation spot to qualify through the World Championships might have a chance. I'll try to list the possibilities.

Men's artistic gymnastics:

I believe that if we have any changes at all, it could only be Marios Georgiou qualifying through the European Championships, what would allow :CZE Jessen David to qualify through the World Championships; or maybe, though veeery unlikely, Andrey Likhovitskiy qualifying in an apparatus through the World Cup series, what would allow :CHI Tomas Gonzalez to qualify. However, Gonzalez has a decent chance of qualifying through the continental championships, so :ROU Andrei Muntean would be next in line.

Women's artistic gymnastics:

On the women's side, there's just a very small chance of Chusovitina competing at the World Cup series and qualifying through vault, but right now she's not even in a top 10 position. She is known to participate in many World Cup events, though, so she might try to qualify through the World Cup series despite already securing an Olympic quota through the World Championships. Either way, if she decides to do this, :IRL Ryan Megan would be able to qualify. Extremely unlikely to happen, though.

I honestly don't think any of these things will happen, though. 

I would appreciate some info or link to the current status of World Cup Apparatus rankings for OG 2020  qualification. 

Also: Is there any criteria of who athlete qualifies in case the same country has more than one athlete at top across the apparatus? For instance, China may have 3 different athletes in top at PB, SR and PH (men) 

• 4 weeks later...

How on earth does this system work? There's now talk here that Epke Zonderland has qualified because Miyachi decides to skip the Baku and Doha competitions? :dunno: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

How on earth does this system work? There's now talk here that Epke Zonderland has qualified because Miyachi decides to skip the Baku and Doha competitions? :dunno: 

The sum of the best three results in the World Cup are taken into account when determining these rankings. Both Miyachi and Zonderland have won three World Cups. In that case, they look at the average of the best three scores during the finals of these world cups, if I understand correctly.

Zonderland now has a better average if you take his winning score in Melbourne into account, but the average of his three best scores isn't that much higher than Miyachi's. That's why I'm surprised that apparently Miyachi congratulated Zonderland with the ticket stating that he will not take part in the last two World Cups. Now he's dependent on being selected for the Japanese team. So I wouldn't be surprised if Miyachi said this in the heat of the moment, but will show up in the last two World Cups to see if he can surpass Zonderland.

2 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Miyachi has won 2 stages, Zonderland 3 now- see https://www.fig-gymnastics.com/site/rankings/ranking_mag.php , there is no need for the tiebreaker if Miyachi won't take part in the next stages.

Aah yeah, I thought Miyachi already won 3. Now it makes more sense. Thanks!

1 uur terug, Dennis zei:

Aah yeah, I thought Miyachi already won 3. Now it makes more sense. Thanks!

Miyachi already won 3 stages. Zonderland as well, so we will have a tiebreaker definitely.

The only reason why Miyachi skips the last two World Cups is that he knows he will be selected for the Japanese team. Otherwise I don't understand him. He 'only' needs to win the next World Cup with a score of 14,733 to surpass Zonderland.

"An athlete who competed actively with a team which qualified in Criteria 1 (2018 World Championships – Team Final) or 2 (2019 World Championships – Team Qualification) may participate but may NOT obtain an additional quota place for his/her NOC through the 2018/2019 and 2019/2020 Individual Apparatus World Cup Series."

which is not the case of Miyachi, I think... does he know about it?

Edited by Vojthas

12 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

My doubt is: Jade Carey has maximun points (3 victories) in both vault and floor. Wich counts?  

There is a tie-break rule, to compare her average points of all participating stages, not just the highest 3 stages. So she will get the vault quota based on current situation. The second highest floor player will get the floor quota.