website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

According to discussions on Twitter, and a recent statement from the Pan American Union president, it looks like FIG will assume the very confusing and awkward wording on their document as a sign of "NOCs previously already qualified through the World Championships will not get a quota".

This absurd. Not only this is wrong, this is also unfair to other nations.

Anyway, let's wait for official confirmation, but it looks like the Sri Lanka and India qualifying might be true.

So that would mean Mexican gymnasts have no longer a chance :facepalm:

Tired of this bullshit of news outlets/federations/coaches not actually taking the time to properly read their rules and understand them, then opening their mouths to say lies for lazy “reporters” to spread it

I’m not against actual journalists and reporters who do their jobs, just against those that repeat info

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

According to discussions on Twitter, and a recent statement from the Pan American Union president, it looks like FIG will assume the very confusing and awkward wording on their document as a sign of "NOCs previously already qualified through the World Championships will not get a quota".

This absurd. Not only this is wrong, this is also unfair to other nations.

Anyway, let's wait for official confirmation, but it looks like the Sri Lanka and India qualifying might be true.

Thiago, você acha que há chances de cancelarem o Campeonato Pan Americano?

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

Tired of this bullshit of news outlets/federations/coaches not actually taking the time to properly read their rules and understand them, then opening their mouths to say lies for lazy “reporters” to spread it

I’m not against actual journalists and reporters who do their jobs, just against those that repeat info

No, Mexico still has a chance. The thing is: if the event is canceled, then FIG apparently applies a different set of rules that would not allow already qualified nations to add another quota. Now, if the event takes place, nations which have already qualified in any way are able add another quota.

In this specific scenario, the wording is very confusing regarding the cancellation of an event and, honestly, it allows for multiple understandings. To be brutally honest, since the cancellation of the Asian Championships would not add extra quotas to China or Japan, FIG just interpreted the rules in a way that adds chances for more people to watch the event. At least a couple hundred/thousand Indians will be interested, if not millions. In the end, it's just business for FIG.

1 hour ago, gucardn said:

Thiago, você acha que há chances de cancelarem o Campeonato Pan Americano?

Pelo que eu acompanho nos bastidores, nenhuma.

The Pan American Championships will happen no matter what, because Brazil's only chance to qualify Rebeca Andrade is making sure that the Pan Ams will take place. And since Rebeca has a real shot at a medal, maybe even more than one, Brazil decided to host the event for the first time in 16 years. Surely, the Brazilian Federation wanted to avoid losing a quota thanks to FIG's BS procedures if the event were to be canceled.

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

That's exactly what is bugging me about this story. I find it extremely hard to believe that an honest person would feel so confident about it, despite the "NOCs without a team" part.

If I were in such position, I would have made damn sure that my interpretation was correct before starting any celebration... Let alone before sharing it with anyone else and basically risking a humiliation.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

That's exactly what is bugging me about this story. I find it extremely hard to believe that an honest person would feel so confident about it, despite the "NOCs without a team" part.

If I were in such position, I would have made damn sure that my interpretation was correct before starting any celebration... Let alone before sharing it with anyone else and basically risking a humiliation.

I agree with you: it was extremely awkward at first, but now this is getting more and more suspicious. Now that this has been published on the IOC website and that news have been spread, it would cause too much commotion and it would anger many, many people, to just plain mention that this interpretation is wrong.

FIG will probably just stick to this nonsense and confirm the quotas to Sri Lanka and India. At this point, I don't expect any kind of reasonable outcome anymore.

So, probably WAG quotas go to :SRI and :IND, and MAG quotas go to :MAS and :IND

11 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I agree with you: it was extremely awkward at first, but now this is getting more and more suspicious. Now that this has been published on the IOC website and that news have been spread, it would cause too much commotion and it would anger many, many people, to just plain mention that this interpretation is wrong.

FIG will probably just stick to this nonsense and confirm the quotas to Sri Lanka and India. At this point, I don't expect any kind of reasonable outcome anymore.

What quota in men's artistic gymnastic? 

24 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

And this MAG part makes it even more suspicious. India received no confirmation (or a tip, or an insider information or whatever) from FIG before that gymnast went public. :d

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, dcro said:

And this MAG part makes it even more suspicious. India received no confirmation (or a tip, or an insider information or whatever) from FIG before that gymnast went public. :d

We decline the men's quota lol. The media has declined it so if there is any nation who can get another quota can get it now . Rules of men's and women's events cant be the same can they lol

5 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

We decline the men's quota lol. The media has declined it so if there is any nation who can get another quota can get it now . Rules of men's and women's events cant be the same can they lol

Oh, wait, so I got what might have happened: maybe the quota didn't go to :IND in the end, and instead went to :VIE.

Here's the crazy thing: :VIE qualified one gymnast through the World Championships, but it was not through the all-around ranking! The Vietnamese gymnast qualified because he was one of the three best non-qualified gymnast in the vault final.

So, if we respect the 1-per-NOC rule only taking as a basis the all-around ranking then :VIE would be eligible for one quota.

This whole thing is extremely chaotic and more and more absurd.

This is a mess!