website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

11 minutes ago, Dolby said:

How hard is it for FIG to issue a simple statement declaring if Asian Championships are cancelled or not and if they are cancelled who all qualified?

Exactly! FIG is the one responsible for this mess, yet they don't seem to be bothered to even keep tabs on who is qualified and who isn't.

To make things worse, we're in May and still no word about whether the Doha World Cup will take place next month or not. It's a complete mess of a federation and the current president is even worse than the previous one.

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Another possibility is that a certain athlete and her team know exactly what they are doing, and are trying to fake-news their way to the Olympics. :whistle:

Let us assume Pranati/India are trying to fake-news their way to the Olympics. What is preventing FIG from telling the world the truth? 

9 minutes ago, dcro said:

Another possibility is that a certain athlete and her team know exactly what they are doing, and are trying to fake-news their way to the Olympics. :whistle:

Also, a lot of athletes/coaches/federations make absurd interpretations of qualification rules. Are they all trying to fake-news their way to the Olympics? Or this is a special case?

5 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Let us assume Pranati/India are trying to fake-news their way to the Olympics. What is preventing FIG from telling the world the truth? 

It's not really FIG's job to police wrong interpretations posted on the internet. It shouldn't be.

3 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Also, a lot of athletes/coaches/federations make absurd interpretations of qualification rules. Are they all trying to fake-news their way to the Olympics? Or this is a special case?

Not by default, but it can go either way.

Several users have pointed that out here. I have pointed that out here. There is a pattern of small time athletes from marginalized sports intentionally spreading fake claims and twisting stories in their favor. Maybe they assume nobody will know the difference, because their sports are marginalized anyway, but that can't pass here on Totallympics.

#banbestmen

12 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's not really FIG's job to police wrong interpretations posted on the internet. It shouldn't be.

Not by default, but it can go either way.

Several users have pointed that out here. I have pointed that out here. There is a pattern of small time athletes from marginalized sports intentionally spreading fake claims and twisting stories in their favor. Maybe they assume nobody will know the difference, because their sports are marginalized anyway, but that can't pass here on Totallympics.

It is FIG job to be clear about qualifications. Even if nobody claimed they qualified, it is still FIG’s job to come out and tell if Asian championships are going to be held or not and if they aren’t being held, who will qualify. And now that Olympic channel has also made the mistake, it is even more FIG’s job to clear the air. 

And as you said most of these fake claims and twists are spread because they think nobody would know the difference. They are for domestic consumption. They don’t think they can fake-news their way to Olympics by hoodwinking IOC/ISFs. In present case, I honestly think Pranati/her coaches and federation are so incompetent that they have wrongly interpreted the rules. At worst, they know they are wrong and are still doing it for some media attention in India. They are not some masterminds trying to scam IOC/FIG into naming them as the qualifiers.

But even if they are trying to scam, FIG owes it to the gymnastics community to be clear about the qualification events and process. 

12 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Either way I'm not bothered about this quota . But now over 20+ websites have reported this i doubt it can be wrong now, if it is they all have to tell again ' Pranati fails to Qualify for Tokyo, FIG clears confusion '

No, it doesn’t work that way. Just because 20+ websites reported it, it doesn’t become true. It would be egg on face only for Olympic channel. For rest, it would be one more time they were wrong. 

18 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Either way I'm not bothered about this quota . But now over 20+ websites have reported this i doubt it can be wrong now, if it is they all have to tell again ' Pranati fails to Qualify for Tokyo, FIG clears confusion '

With all due respect to the gymnast, she should not qualify.

Of course the rules are written in an absurd way but it should be clear for anyone familiar with the qualification system that she has not qualified. The logic that is being applied for :SRI and :IND to qualify does not apply to any other event according to the qualification documents. In my opinion, this is absurd. The fact that so many websites are reporting this, including the IOC, is very worrisome. I will be very disappointed if FIG somehow decides to "bend" the rules in this specific case and deny :KOR and :MAS of a quota.

According to discussions on Twitter, and a recent statement from the Pan American Union president, it looks like FIG will assume the very confusing and awkward wording on their document as a sign of "NOCs previously already qualified through the World Championships will not get a quota".

This absurd. Not only this is wrong, this is also unfair to other nations.

Anyway, let's wait for official confirmation, but it looks like the Sri Lanka and India qualifying might be true.