website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

27 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Actually Liu Yang will get the quota if Doha cancelled. Weng Hao participated the 2019 Doha stage and ranked 28th failing reach to finals. It's uneasy for us to detect that and presumed absent. So there is a 0 score to take into account and he lost the tie-break. 

FIG results check: https://www.gymnastics.sport/site/events/results.php?idEvent=14998#filter

Ohh, this makes things a lot more interesting now. Now, if :JPN Hidetaka Miyachi qualifies on the horizontal bar -- it's not impossible -- then this means that the quota on the pommel horse will go to :IRI Saeedreza Keikha! :ARM Harutyun Merdinyan has an outside chance too, provided he wins the gold medal in Doha and Keikha finishes third or lower. 

19 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Ohh, this makes things a lot more interesting now. Now, if :JPN Hidetaka Miyachi qualifies on the horizontal bar -- it's not impossible -- then this means that the quota on the pommel horse will go to :IRI Saeedreza Keikha! :ARM Harutyun Merdinyan has an outside chance too, provided he wins the gold medal in Doha and Keikha finishes third or lower. 

but how probable is that ? I see Zonderland leading the HB ranking. it looks really hard for the Japanese gymnast to win the next world cup and beat the Dutch on the tiebreaking criteria.

Gymnastics is one of the non-existence sports here, an Olympic quota can make some differences. beside that I know Keikha really worked hard for that. he deserves a bit of success near the end of his career. (here you have to win an Asian Games medal or qualify for the Olympics to draw some attention)

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

but how probable is that ? I see Zonderland leading the HB ranking. it looks really hard for the Japanese gymnast to win the next world cup and beat the Dutch on the tiebreaking criteria.

Gymnastics is one of the non-existence sports here, an Olympic quota can make some differences. beside that I know Keikha really worked hard for that. he deserves a bit of success near the end of his career. (here you have to win an Asian Games medal or qualify for the Olympics to draw some attention)

Japan announced they will not send Miyachi to attend rest stages before so unless some big progress he made during the pandemic, he won’t show up on Doha and lost the quota.  Keikha has little chance to get the quota directly but he has a good chance to get the wild card I guess. As a new comer, he deserves the encouragement.

13 minutes ago, MHSN said:

but how probable is that ?

Let's say that Zonderland has a tendency to screw things up, while Miyachi could very well be the next Olympic champion in the horizontal bar thanks to his insanely difficult and clean routine. Of course, Zonderland is a two-time world champion and an Olympic champion, but he's far from his best and Miyachi has been consistent with his routine. Let's see how this goes.

2 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Japan announced they will not send Miyachi to attend rest stages before so unless some big progress he made during the pandemic, he won’t show up on Doha and lost the quota.  Keikha has little chance to get the quota directly but he has a good chance to get the wild card I guess. As a new comer, he deserves the encouragement.

Japan is really dumb on their selection procedures, but even with their cluelessness, it would be a huge mistake to leave Miyachi out of the next World Cup stage. He has a fantastic routine.

Kameyama, on the other hand, has no chance of even getting a medal, unless five or six gymnasts fall. This, of course, if he even qualifies for the event finals, which I doubt, to be honest.

9 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Japan is really dumb on their selection procedures, but even with their cluelessness, it would be a huge mistake to leave Miyachi out of the next World Cup stage. He has a fantastic routine.

Kameyama, on the other hand, has no chance of even getting a medal, unless five or six gymnasts fall. This, of course, if he even qualifies for the event finals, which I doubt, to be honest.

I don’t know why Japan gymnastics association seemed to be very pissed off after his error in Melbourne stage and then made the announcement. I even doubt that is it because of travel fee concern. Actually China NT also sometimes stopped sending unfavorable athletes but their local clubs will support them financially sometimes.

40 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Keikha has little chance to get the quota directly but he has a good chance to get the wild card I guess. As a new comer, he deserves the encouragement.

I don't think Iran is eligible for Wild Card in any sport. that's for countries with very small delegations in past Olympics.

he is one of the athletes I like personally, I hope he qualifies by whatever method possible. but that looks unlikely based on what you guys said.

25 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I don't think Iran is eligible for Wild Card in any sport. that's for countries with very small delegations in past Olympics.

he is one of the athletes I like personally, I hope he qualifies by whatever method possible. but that looks unlikely based on what you guys said.

There's also a chance that Japan formally declines a quota from the apparatus World Cup series and go instead for a quota at the Asian Championships. Since Japan has qualified a full team, if they earn a quota through the Asian Championships, they can pick any gymnast they want. If they accept the quota from the WC series, they would be stuck with either Kameyama or Miyachi. It would be a lot wiser to pick a quota for the nation through the Asian Championships instead. Keikha has a decent chance of qualifying, in the end.

10 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

There's also a chance that Japan formally declines a quota from the apparatus World Cup series and go instead for a quota at the Asian Championships. Since Japan has qualified a full team, if they earn a quota through the Asian Championships, they can pick any gymnast they want. If they accept the quota from the WC series, they would be stuck with either Kameyama or Miyachi. It would be a lot wiser to pick a quota for the nation through the Asian Championships instead. Keikha has a decent chance of qualifying, in the end.

thanks. at least this sounds like a realistic scenario. (any news regarding the Asian Championship? date and location or maybe cancelled?) I hope those guys in Japan consider this :p but I assume Keikha can't do anything himself to improve his chance (except making sure nobody else surpasses him in the ranking) because even winning the last WC in Doha won't improve his ranking.

for a very long time folks in Iran Gymnastics federation were thinking that CHN and JPN with a full team can't qualify any more gymnasts and Keikha is in the pole position with his 3rd place in the ranking. only recently they realized they were wrong and Keikha missed his last chance to improve his ranking when FIG cancelled the finals in Baku.

13 minutes ago, MHSN said:

thanks. at least this sounds like a realistic scenario. (any news regarding the Asian Championship? date and location or maybe cancelled?) I hope those guys in Japan consider this :p but I assume Keikha can't do anything himself to improve his chance (except making sure nobody else surpasses him in the ranking) because even winning the last WC in Doha won't improve his ranking.

for a very long time folks in Iran Gymnastics federation were thinking that CHN and JPN with a full team can't qualify any more gymnasts and Keikha is in the pole position with his 3rd place in the ranking. only recently they realized they were wrong and Keikha missed his last chance to improve his ranking when FIG cancelled the finals in Baku.

The Asian Championships are scheduled to take place from May 29 to June 1.

And the qualification system in artistic gymnastics is insane. I've lost count of how many times I read the documents, and sometimes I wonder if I understood everything. FIG made things overly complicated by splitting the quotas for teams and individuals. Thankfully, this nonsense will not be repeated in 2024 and it seems like we'll go back to the 5-per-team standard with no extra gymnasts from a nation which qualifies a full team.