website statistics

Boxing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

IOC should have declared that if a sport is unable to properly conduct qualifiers to ensure that the best athletes will qualify, those events in question should be removed from the Tokyo program. You can bet that they would find a way to organize this qualifier in that case. It's easy to do this bullshit when there aren't any consequences for the people who make the calls. 

As I said, our two "qualified" women won't compete, they only have those privileged places because they won medals in Lima, which was million years ago. This decision would be fair in many other sports which have functional IFs and stablished calendar of competitions, but not in the mess that has been AIBA last few years. 

Another thing to consider with the ranking, and I could be wrong here but, is that athletes didn’t really know in advance that these events could have an impact on Olympic qualification. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Another thing to consider with the ranking, and I could be wrong here but, is that athletes didn’t really know in advance that these events could have an impact on Olympic qualification. 

They don't know at all. Since BTF takeover the qualification process, no one thought AIBA events are important. China sent an almost amateur team to 2019 WCH which means it's impossible for a boxer attended both 2017 WCH and 2019 WCH. The worst part is not ranking system, the worst part is that every other sport is resuming qualifiers but BTF just cancel them easily, not postponement not relocation, just cancelation. It doesn't recognize the effort boxers made during past two years. It just want to fill in the entry form with some random names and it gets job done.

the real problem is that BTF did nothing to change the system...

olympic boxing is still heavily corrupted...at the qualifiers held so far we've seen the usual shameful judging as ever...sometimes they only changed the favoured Nations, sometimes it's the same old story...

this farce named olympic boxing has nothing to do with any sport and should be thrown out of the Games immediately (actually, it should have been done many, many years ago)...:pope:

On 13/04/2021 at 11:27, EselTheDonkey said:

I only just found out that they cancelled the final qualifier. Does that mean that :GER is qualified in women's 57kg and men's +91kg regardless of how the European qualifier will go, because German boxers are the highest ranked Europeans in these disciplines?

Sorry for coming back to this, but where do you see the German boxers with the highest European ranking?

In women`s 57 kg I see six European athletes ahead of Ornella Wahner and in men`s +91 kg I see one better athlete from Russia.

6 minutes ago, Mecki83 said:

Sorry for coming back to this, but where do you see the German boxers with the highest European ranking?

In women`s 57 kg I see six European athletes ahead of Ornella Wahner and in men`s +91 kg I see one better athlete from Russia.

Here: AIBA World Ranking WOMEN as of Sep 2020 Final 202009.xlsx (d21c25674tgiqk.cloudfront.net)

And here: AIBA World Ranking MEN as of Sep 2020 FinalCorr1 202009.xlsx (d21c25674tgiqk.cloudfront.net)

Did I look at the wrong rankings?