website statistics

Boxing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

2 minutes ago, Adriano said:

Which events beyonds europeans and americans QQT will be counted? 

I'm pretty sure the answer is nothing else

I think the ranking is the combination of the latest continental championships, continental qualifiers and the last World Championship in Russia.

If they literally do what thay point out in the article (4 quota places in every weight class to the best ranked boxer per continent) half of the men weight classes will get an uneven number of particpants at the Games:

Feather: 27 instead of 28
Welter: 23 instead of 24
Heavy: 17 instead of 16
Super Heavy: 17 instead of 16

This will create extra boxing matches without recovery for a couple of boxers, something they wanted to get rid of in the first place....

2 hours ago, dcro said:

I expect more resolutions like this one in other sports too. Suspect there will be an unusual number of withdrawals as well.

Probably, but in other sports these back up plans were already taken in consideration in the original qualification systems (chapter 'reallocation of quota places). For instance, the re-allocation in artistic gymnastics now the all around world cup is being canceled.

8 minutes ago, Adriano said:

So only one place for Europe in women's and men's category? 

Yes, this is why i said, that Europe is severely screwed. World OQT had 4-5 places per category at stake, out of which Europe would have probably won 75-100% in almost each one. Now they get only 25%. Ridiculous.. 

35 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Yes, this is why i said, that Europe is severely screwed. World OQT had 4-5 places per category at stake, out of which Europe would have probably won 75-100% in almost each one. Now they get only 25%. Ridiculous.. 

You're right. That's a shame.