website statistics

Skateboarding Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

12 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Equal prize money?

I guess she's correct since both genders would get $0

Each medalist in every sport receives a nice sized monetary prize if I’m not mistaken.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, ofan said:

Oh absolutely, the hypocrisy is incredible (much like almost everything else the IOC does). Women's ice hockey is another example...

In winter sports in general you will have less universality, since they are only practiced in a certain few countries. And while Women's ice hockey is mostly dominated by Canada and the USA, just this year Finland managed to get silver at the World Championships and only lost gold due to a controversial dicision. It is also growing with the World Championships being increased to 10 teams and the Olympics are talking about doing the same.

For skateboarding, while I don't know too much about the sport, I'm happy that it finally got added. Even if it's just for Tokyo. It has similairities with snowboarding in the Winter Olympics and I love watching those competitions, so I'm looking forward to it. Even if there is a huge problem in Switzerland with two associations fighting for being the official one. 

1 minute ago, Ustatsch said:

In winter sports in general you will have less universality, since they are only practiced in a certain few countries. And while Women's ice hockey is mostly dominated by Canada and the USA, just this year Finland managed to get silver at the World Championships and only lost gold due to a controversial dicision. It is also growing with the World Championships being increased to 10 teams and the Olympics are talking about doing the same.

For skateboarding, while I don't know too much about the sport, I'm happy that it finally got added. Even if it's just for Tokyo. It has similairities with snowboarding in the Winter Olympics and I love watching those competitions, so I'm looking forward to it. Even if there is a huge problem in Switzerland with two associations fighting for being the official one. 

In Brazil we had this same problem. Fortunately it was solved

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

There are 12-18 total currently. Shockingly one of those is :LBR. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, Skateboarding was bound to added to the Olympic games. I think we could have waited a few more additions, but I will defend Skateboarding as a legitimate sport.

So it's even further away from the time it was 'cool'? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The IOC can be a bit hypocritical with their universality rule. Look at coxed eights rowing. As much as I love the sport I acknowledge that the event is slowly dying yet it remains on the schedule.

Because in rowing one should definitely have an eights boat. The casual viewer has no clue about the gazillion different boats and coxed and coxless and godknowswhat, the only two easy things for the casual viewer are the skiff and the eights so you wouldn't wanna mess with that..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, ofan said:

I'm not discounting it as a legitimate sport - I agree that its addition was inevitable, especially considering the push from the IOC for "youth-friendly" events. For World Skate, it was their best option of getting into the Games because of the popularity of skateboarding versus inline skating. However, with "universality" of sports being an important factor for Olympic inclusion, this sport seems to fall short. 

meh...I think it's very much a question of points of view...

probably (surely) in North America, Japan and a bunch of other Nations it works this way, but in many parts of the world is the other way round...

however, I don't think Skateboarding would have any chance to get 11 Nations on the medal table (6 of them winning at least 1 Gold), even with the same number of events that inline speedskating has and despite this discipline is currently dominated by 1 single powerhouse (Colombia) winning 65% of available Gold medals (13 out of 20)*, domination that would immediately decrease should the sport be added to the Olympic program...

*results from the last World Roller Games, held in Spain just a few days ago...

Edited by phelps

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Each medalist in every sport receives a nice sized monetary prize if I’m not mistaken.

IOC doesn't give a single euro to the atletes. Only the NOC can decide do pay for the medals, all NOC have their own rules.

11 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Equal prize money?

I guess she's correct since both genders would get $0

still, almost every NOC has prize money for their medallists and an Olympic Gold always means sponsorship contracts, even in the most amateurish disciplines...so, there's always something about money to be taken into consideration...;)

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Because in rowing one should definitely have an eights boat. The casual viewer has no clue about the gazillion different boats and coxed and coxless and godknowswhat, the only two easy things for the casual viewer are the skiff and the eights so you wouldn't wanna mess with that..

But if no one competes in it then should it be an Olympic event?