website statistics

Skateboarding Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

Updating the Olympic Qualifying Ranking.

PS: Men's Park and Womens's Park and Street there aren't any athlete of an African nation in the ranking.

PS 2: This ranking regardless this rule: The three (3) highest placed athletes in each of the four (4) World Skate World Championship events (Women’s Street / Women’s Park / Men’s Street / Men’s Park) during the 2020 Season will be directly qualified to participate in the Olympic Games regardless of their placings on the Olympic World Skateboarding Rankings as of 1 June 2020

Skate.xlsx

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ofan said:

This is such a stupid, stupid, stupid addition to the Olympic Games. There are going to be like 5 nations represented in this sport, and a few other nations with one or two athletes. 

There are 12-18 total currently. Shockingly one of those is :LBR. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, Skateboarding was bound to added to the Olympic games. I think we could have waited a few more additions, but I will defend Skateboarding as a legitimate sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

There are 12-18 total currently. Shockingly one of those is :LBR. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, Skateboarding was bound to added to the Olympic games. I think we could have waited a few more additions, but I will defend Skateboarding as a legitimate sport.

I'm not discounting it as a legitimate sport - I agree that its addition was inevitable, especially considering the push from the IOC for "youth-friendly" events. For World Skate, it was their best option of getting into the Games because of the popularity of skateboarding versus inline skating. However, with "universality" of sports being an important factor for Olympic inclusion, this sport seems to fall short. 

4 minutes ago, ofan said:

I'm not discounting it as a legitimate sport - I agree that its addition was inevitable, especially considering the push from the IOC for "youth-friendly" events. For World Skate, it was their best option of getting into the Games because of the popularity of skateboarding versus inline skating. However, with "universality" of sports being an important factor for Olympic inclusion, this sport seems to fall short. 

The IOC can be a bit hypocritical with their universality rule. Look at coxed eights rowing. As much as I love the sport I acknowledge that the event is slowly dying yet it remains on the schedule.

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

The IOC can be a bit hypocritical with their universality rule. Look at coxed eights rowing. As much as I love the sport I acknowledge that the event is slowly dying yet it remains on the schedule.

Oh absolutely, the hypocrisy is incredible (much like almost everything else the IOC does). Women's ice hockey is another example...

1 minute ago, ofan said:

Oh absolutely, the hypocrisy is incredible (much like almost everything else the IOC does). Women's ice hockey is another example...

Women's ice hockey can at least hide behind the men's tournament. Also ignoring the fact that it is dominated by Canada/USA participation in qualification is decent. 28 teams (including the host) attempted to qualify in 2018 which is good for a winter sport. As a comparison 37 men's teams attempted to qualify.

There was an AMA on the Olympics Reddit today, so I took the opportunity to ask one of the US skateboarders a few questions. Pictured below is my post and her response:

F03CC328-3455-423A-8B9A-F6549B2EF487.jpeg

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela