website statistics
Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!
 

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to:

 

  • Post replies and open new threads
  • Give reputation to other members' posts
  • Get your own private messenger
  • Manage your profile

 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

 

Sign In | Create an Account

vinipereira

Table Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Recommended Posts

I thought :GER would have 3 quotas each for the men’s & women’s individual.  Why do they only have two?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bmo said:

I thought :GER would have 3 quotas each for the men’s & women’s individual.  Why do they only have two?

 

There Max. 2 athletes per NOC in singles

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmo said:

I thought :GER would have 3 quotas each for the men’s & women’s individual.  Why do they only have two?

It’s the only way the ITTF figured out to prevent China from sweeping the podium.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that Germany qualified as a team, what about singles and mixed doubles quota? I think single quotas should be reallocated to the fourth placed athletes, but for mixed quota?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Now that Germany qualified as a team, what about singles and mixed doubles quota? I think single quotas should be reallocated to the fourth placed athletes, but for mixed quota?

Mixed doubles quotas are not dependent on the team qualification. 16 teams must qualify individually. No mixed doubles quotas for teams which have men's and women's team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shravan Kumar said:

Mixed doubles quotas are not dependent on the team qualification. 16 teams must qualify individually. No mixed doubles quotas for teams which have men's and women's team.

I really wonder why federations tend to generate such complicated qualification systems. World archery remains a virtuous but isolated example

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

I really wonder why federations tend to generate such complicated qualification systems. World archery remains a virtuous but isolated example

It might be because they needed 16 pairs. If they give mixed doubles quotas to teams which have qualified both the men's and women's team,.it might be less than 16

 Some country might only qualify in men's team .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Now that Germany qualified as a team, what about singles and mixed doubles quota? I think single quotas should be reallocated to the fourth placed athletes, but for mixed quota?

As Vojtas has said/described many times, singles quotas will be redistributed to the European Qualification Tournament, which will be held in April 2020 in Moscow.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because Germany won a quota place in the Mixed Doubles at the European Games (and their entrants need to come from their successful Teams, also qualified, then this adds one extra space into the Singles Qualification for each of Men and Women. 

 

"Any qualified athletes in Mixed Doubles must be part of the team composition if their NOC has qualified a team of that gender"

 

Does this extra place get filled at the Singles Qualification Tournament, or via the World Ranking?  I think it is the Qualification Tournament, up to a maximum of 8 (when you allow for other situations like Germany's, from a minimum of 2 places at the Tournament), and then after that the World Ranking, but my head hurts now.  I agree that Table Tennis has made this the most complicated process possible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cmon Mary said:

Because Germany won a quota place in the Mixed Doubles at the European Games (and their entrants need to come from their successful Teams, also qualified, then this adds one extra space into the Singles Qualification for each of Men and Women. 

 

"Any qualified athletes in Mixed Doubles must be part of the team composition if their NOC has qualified a team of that gender"

 

Does this extra place get filled at the Singles Qualification Tournament, or via the World Ranking?  I think it is the Qualification Tournament, up to a maximum of 8 (when you allow for other situations like Germany's, from a minimum of 2 places at the Tournament), and then after that the World Ranking, but my head hurts now.  I agree that Table Tennis has made this the most complicated process possible.  

I said it once in our first podcast from Minsk Games, then I said it second time in a podcast after Germany won both team events, and I wrote it twice on this forum (probably in European Games thread), but I'll do it once more :)  - the Singles quotas from European Games which can't be used by Germany, as they qualified teams, will be redistributed at the other European Qualification Tournament, which will be held in April 2020 in Moscow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...