website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Wanderer

I guess everything will be more clear tomorrow when the official lists come out. Apparently as there have been a lot of withdrawals, Greece is hoping to get in for men's doubles and women's doubles. At least that is the rumour. I'll believe it when I see it.

8 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I guess everything will be more clear tomorrow when the official lists come out. Apparently as there have been a lot of withdrawals, Greece is hoping to get in for men's doubles and women's doubles. At least that is the rumour. I'll believe it when I see it.

Whar kind of rumour? 

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

Honestly really happy for Fichman. I was pretty convinced she would miss out.

Spoke too soon about two women's doubles 

It will be just Dabrowski and Fichman in the women's doubles. Pospisil and AA Will compete in men's doubles.

Hoping we have a mixed doubles team as well.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

They should put fichman and dabrowski together... but I suspect they will be divided among the singles.

This implies that they will be paired together but its vague enough that it could change later. https://olympic.ca/2021/06/29/six-team-canada-tennis-stars-ready-to-serve-at-tokyo-2020/

1 hour ago, Adriano said:

Whar kind of rumour? 

I read on a Greek sports site that Stefanos Tsitsipas said he might play doubles at the Olympics with his brother, and that Maria Sakkari might play with Valentini Grammatikopoulou or Despina Papamichail. The reason given was that if the quotas per gender (86 I think) are met in tennis, then countries with singles players that don't have doubles players will get to use one of their singles players and invite a doubles player to come, rather than have other countries bringing two new doubles players and increasing the athlete quotas.

I don't know how accurate this is and even the article said that we won't know for certain until tomorrow, but the Greek tennis federation is hoping that we can get this and they are preparing in case it happens.

30 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I read on a Greek sports site that Stefanos Tsitsipas said he might play doubles at the Olympics with his brother, and that Maria Sakkari might play with Valentini Grammatikopoulou or Despina Papamichail. The reason given was that if the quotas per gender (86 I think) are met in tennis, then countries with singles players that don't have doubles players will get to use one of their singles players and invite a doubles player to come, rather than have other countries bringing two new doubles players and increasing the athlete quotas.

I don't know how accurate this is and even the article said that we won't know for certain until tomorrow, but the Greek tennis federation is hoping that we can get this and they are preparing in case it happens.

First players having doubles ranking in top 10 will select their teams. Then upto 24 teams will be invited based on combined ranking. If at this stage, 86 quotas per gender is reached, we go to Singles priority. Preference goes to teams which add no quota, that is both players are already qualified in singles. If the target of 31 teams (1 host quota) is not reached using only singles players, then they give preference to teams which add only one quota. For these singles priority quotas as well, teams will be invited on basis of the combined rankings. So, if Tsitsipas want to play with his brother, their combined ranking must be higher than other applicants.