website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Wanderer

4 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Well, the qualification period in all sports is finishing. We will be seeing many changes and reallocations probably every day. I am really happy for every :CZE and :SVK who qualify. I always for both counties the same. Will be nice to see some Slovak tennis players. As you know, Olympic tournament is always unpredictable. So let's see??

We hoped and believed in a 45+ athletes delegation, which would have helped us to send also coaches and more support staff members to the athletes. But sadly, we missed quite a lot of qualifications by just a few, so it does not look any possible to qualify even 40 athletes, so only the most necessary support team will be allowed to travel with the athletes. This is things and problems we are going to face, many big countries does not even know about..

Right now we have 31. Well, what can we do, we are in the wrong continent :d

8 minutes ago, hckošice said:

We hoped and believed in a 45+ athletes delegation, which would have helped us to send also coaches and more support staff members to the athletes. But sadly, we missed quite a lot of qualifications by just a few, so it does not look any possible to qualify even 40 athletes, so only the most necessary support team will be allowed to travel with the athletes. This is things and problems we are going to face, many big countries does not even know about..

Right now we have 31. Well, what can we do, we are in the wrong continent :d

Yeah, well, many sports have cut a lot the total number of qualified athletes in recent years. That is also the reason. We were also hoping for more. Currently we have 70 spots and hoping for about 100. But it will be tough to reach this number. Depends whether basketball team makes the cut in the qualifier in Canada. Let's hope. Couple more weeks to go. 

Are we sure that Badosa and Tig will not play? I think they are relaxing the Fed Cup restrictions for players like them who rose up a lot in the last year or two and didn't have many chances to play Fed Cup.

It's completely fair too. Do you really think Spain was going to choose Badosa in 2017, 2018, or 2019 for Fed Cup when they had other better players? Same with Romania and Tig.

Karatsev for example was originally listed as not eligible (due to the same reasons) on Wikipedia until a Russian source confirmed that he will play. So, I think we should know that there are some mistakes on Wikipedia regarding player eligibility.

Gauff is another example of someone who is listed as eligible even though she technically doesn't meet the requirements. So I think they will also make these exceptions for players like Badosa and Tig (Sebastian Korda also for example).

Now others like Hercog and Martic are people they should not make exceptions for.

Also sorry if I am not doing a good job trying to explain this. English is not my first language.

Badosa is going to play. She's said that she wants to go.

She wasnt the TOP4 spanish tennis player thats why she wasnt chosen for the Fed Cup during this years. I know wikipedia lists her as "no elligible", but I doesn't seem that way.

2 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

They will probably be Players pulling out till literally the day before the first matches - Easy to see it being down to half of the top 50 playing at best by the time it actually begins. 

:d:p:lol: