website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Wanderer

39 minutes ago, NMQ said:

I missed it, but :CAN Shapovalov also out. 5 of the current top 15 ATP players won´t be in Tokyo (Nadal, Thiem, Bautista Agut, Ruud, Shapo). Still a few more days to withdraw, so brace yourselves. 

In his statement he claims he's withdrawing due to the COVID restrictions and that he intends to play in Paris in three years (eyeroll)

5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Perhaps, but I'd put money that Murray would crawl over broken glass to play if he's at all fit. Pretty sure Djok is very determined to go too. no-one who saw Djok cry at his elimination by Del Potro in Rio would be in any doubt that the Games still meant something. After all, let us recall Fed walked away from Paris, and Rafa has dumped Wimbledon as well as Tokyo - I don't think this is a Games issue, I think this is an aging giants in an age of Covid issue. Some players, esp historically us male players, have just not 'got it', treating their career in almost business terms...

But I know John Mcenroe famously refused to attend the Olympics .. and admitted years later he bitterly regretted it.

I wasn't trying to suggest that all of those players were reluctant to play in Tokyo just that the appeal of Rio and Tokyo has been a little less for some players than Beijing and London. Add the health issues surrounding the Games in 2016 and 2021 together with the points issue and you have some explanation for the drop off in player participation.

3 hours ago, NMQ said:

I missed it, but :CAN Shapovalov also out. 5 of the current top 15 ATP players won´t be in Tokyo (Nadal, Thiem, Bautista Agut, Ruud, Shapo). Still a few more days to withdraw, so brace yourselves. 

Tennis determined to build a strong lead before the golfers start withdrawing next week. ?

5 hours ago, rybak said:

Jil Teichmann from womens side is out too, but due to injury, as well Monica Puig who will not defend her Rio title.

That was odd from Teichmann because she is playing these weeks after missing Roland Garros.

Tig and Zidansek are also out, but so far not many withdrawals in the women's draw.

15 hours ago, hckošice said:

Yes, Polášek has been updated today. As I wrote there our NOC and Tennis federation received today the official invitation and information in which was written that he has to choose a partner for the Doubles event. (Any SVK player in the top 300 of M Singles or Doubles ranking from 14th June)

But still not official confirmation from him personally if he will actually accept it and play in Tokyo :p

Yep, bro. Congrats a lot!!! Polášek and Gombos in :-) Just feel a bit pity you have no female qualified. Polášek is good in mixed doubles, too. I believe they would have their chances :-) 

5 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Yep, bro. Congrats a lot!!! Polášek and Gombos in :-) Just feel a bit pity you have no female qualified. Polášek is good in mixed doubles, too. I believe they would have their chances :-) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Qualification

Accroding to wiki, so many guys skipped the olympics and Gombos could play singles, too.

2 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Qualification

Accroding to wiki, so many guys skipped the olympics and Gombos could play singles, too.

Sure ,I know. That is what I meant. Gombos will surely play singles. As I guess there will be more withdrawals, he won't miss the singles tournament. As for doubles, I guess as @hckošicesaid, Polášek will most likely choose Igor Zelenay ?

26 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Thanks mate.

Yes as it stand now, we have officially 2 quotas for the M Doubles (Polášek + 1), Our NOC nor Tennis federation has not been contacted yet for Gomboš M Singles continental quota reallocation, so I am not counting it yet, but I think it will change soon once our NOC will receive a mail with his invitation.

Would be definitely great to participate in both Mens events, it started to look pretty bad and honnestly was not expecting any quota in Tennis, so it may at the end be much better thanks all the withdrawals and reallocations.

However, we have to keep in mind that The quotas are still not officillay confiremd by Filip Polášek himself :p so until he will not say that he is really going to Tokyo nothing is certain at all.

If he will accept it he can select one of these players

Spoiler

Singles Ranking:

89. Norbert Gombos, (Currently unofficially holding the European Continental M Singles quota)

115. Andrej Martin,

126. Jozef Kovalík,

177. Filip Horanský,

180. Alex Molčan,

197. Martin Kližan,

214. Lukáš Lacko,

254. Lukáš Klein

Doubles Ranking:

9. Filip Polášek,

97. Igor Zelenay, (Very likely)

241. Klein,

268. Molčan

41 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Thanks mate.

Yes as it stand now, we have officially 2 quotas for the M Doubles (Polášek + 1), Our NOC nor Tennis federation has not been contacted yet for Gomboš M Singles continental quota reallocation, so I am not counting it yet, but I think it will change soon once our NOC will receive a mail with his invitation.

Would be definitely great to participate in both Mens events, it started to look pretty bad and honnestly was not expecting any quota in Tennis, so it may at the end be much better thanks all the withdrawals and reallocations.

However, we have to keep in mind that The quotas are still not officillay confiremd by Filip Polášek himself :p so until he will not say that he is really going to Tokyo nothing is certain at all.

If he will accept it he can select one of these players

Hide contents

Singles Ranking:

89. Norbert Gombos, (Currently unofficially holding the European Continental M Singles quota)

115. Andrej Martin,

126. Jozef Kovalík,

177. Filip Horanský,

180. Alex Molčan,

197. Martin Kližan,

214. Lukáš Lacko,

254. Lukáš Klein

Doubles Ranking:

9. Filip Polášek,

97. Igor Zelenay, (Very likely)

241. Klein,

268. Molčan

Well, the qualification period in all sports is finishing. We will be seeing many changes and reallocations probably every day. I am really happy for every :CZE and :SVK who qualify. I always for both counties the same. Will be nice to see some Slovak tennis players. As you know, Olympic tournament is always unpredictable. So let's see??