website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Wanderer

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

Players dropping out of Tokyo surprises me more than Rio.

You'd think the players sponsors would know how big the golf and tennis equipment market is in Japan and apply pressure on them to go.

You get it wrong, China is the main tennis market in Asia, not Japan.

Toray Pan Pacific Open was the biggest Asian tournament for years before it was demoted in status and Beijing became Premier Mandatory event. Just compare the number of WTA events held in China & Japan.

3 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Beijing was a first opportunity for Nadal, Djokovic and Murray to compete at an Olympics early in the period of their domination of men's tennis alongside Federer. London had the attraction and kudos of Wimbledon a known quantity. By the time we get to Rio the appeal has lessened and the ranking points have disappeared. 

Perhaps, but I'd put money that Murray would crawl over broken glass to play if he's at all fit. Pretty sure Djok is very determined to go too. no-one who saw Djok cry at his elimination by Del Potro in Rio would be in any doubt that the Games still meant something. After all, let us recall Fed walked away from Paris, and Rafa has dumped Wimbledon as well as Tokyo - I don't think this is a Games issue, I think this is an aging giants in an age of Covid issue. Some players, esp historically us male players, have just not 'got it', treating their career in almost business terms...

But I know John Mcenroe famously refused to attend the Olympics .. and admitted years later he bitterly regretted it.

5 minutes ago, hckošice said:

That would meant Gomboš in for the continental quota ?

He is probably in, as I guess that list from Wikipedia will only get more withdrawals. Borna Ćorić is for example still listed, but he is out due to injury.

Any news on Polasek? He should be automatically in as one of the Top 10 doubles athletes.

#banbestmen

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

He is probably in, as I guess that list from Wikipedia will only get more withdrawals. Borna Ćorić is for example still listed, but he is out due to injury.

Any news on Polasek? He should be automatically in as one of the Top 10 doubles athletes.

Yes, Polášek has been updated today. As I wrote there our NOC and Tennis federation received today the official invitation and information in which was written that he has to choose a partner for the Doubles event. (Any SVK player in the top 300 of M Singles or Doubles ranking from 14th June)

But still not official confirmation from him personally if he will actually accept it and play in Tokyo :p

Is there still a quarantine for the athletes when arriving? Maybe this is the reason some of these average players like Pella and Ruusuvuori  are opting to pull out. They don't want to be stuck there for 1-2-3 weeks, when it's almost certain they'd lose in round 1 or 2 and won't accomplish anything. Better play in the weakened 250s/500s and rack some money and points. Either way, they won't be missed.

26 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Is there still a quarantine for the athletes when arriving? Maybe this is the reason some of these average players like Pella and Ruusuvuori  are opting to pull out. They don't want to be stuck there for 1-2-3 weeks, when it's almost certain they'd lose in round 1 or 2 and won't accomplish anything. Better play in the weakened 250s/500s and rack some money and points. Either way, they won't be missed.

Could be wrong, but I think there is a 3 day quarantine upon arrival. 

38 minutes ago, NMQ said:

I missed it, but :CAN Shapovalov also out. 5 of the current top 15 ATP players won´t be in Tokyo (Nadal, Thiem, Bautista Agut, Ruud, Shapo). Still a few more days to withdraw, so brace yourselves. 

Jil Teichmann from womens side is out too, but due to injury, as well Monica Puig who will not defend her Rio title.