website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Wanderer

8 hours ago, prso1000 said:

Olympics are not relevant in tennis as long as there no points awarded. 
i think you cannot exclude tennis from olympics as it is an too important sport. Unfortunately we will have to accept that the entry list will be lacking several big names every olympics. 

I would keep it as it is right now but reduce the field to 32 in singles and max 16 doubles and move the quotas to other sports 

I don't remember so many tennis players withdrawing from London 2012 for example, or Beijing 2008

54 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I don't remember so many tennis players withdrawing from London 2012 for example, or Beijing 2008

Rio and Tokyo haven't been helped by health issues offering players an excuse to drop out if they really didn't want to be at the Games. The Zika virus in Brazil and now Covid.

1 minute ago, Nickyc707 said:

Rio and Tokyo haven't been helped by health issues offering players an excuse to drop out if they really didn't want to be at the Games. The Zika virus in Brazil and now Covid.

I agree, which is why I think for Paris 2024 maybe more players will go (except those who hate clay I guess)

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

At that time OG had huge amount of points only less than Grand Slam in my memory. But now not only on money but also no points.

18 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Players dropping out of Tokyo surprises me more than Rio.

You'd think the players sponsors would know how big the golf and tennis equipment market is in Japan and apply pressure on them to go.

Beijing was a first opportunity for Nadal, Djokovic and Murray to compete at an Olympics early in the period of their domination of men's tennis alongside Federer. London had the attraction and kudos of Wimbledon a known quantity. By the time we get to Rio the appeal has lessened and the ranking points have disappeared. 

Looks that at the end we will not miss participation in this sport for the first time in our history. Filip Polášek received today the invitation thanks his 9th rank in the M Doubles ranking and have now to choose a partner for the Tokyo M Doubles competition. (very likely Igor Zelenay) well it is still pending they will accept the quota and want to play  in Tokyo..

However there a small hope, since Polášek many times in the past presented his interest to represent the country in at least one Olympics in his career. Tokyo should be his only opportunity though...

but, we´ll see