website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Wanderer

Just now, Makedonas said:

I don't understand some of these players. They have no national pride?

At least Thiem is big and won a Grand Slam. For some of the low ranked players who skip, what is their reason? Wouldn't being in the Olympics be a career highlight for them? I just don't understand it!

The Olympics not providing ranking points is a legit reason for some low ranked players. You see it in golf too, some Zimbabwean player who was one of the lowest ranked qualifier didn’t play in Rio because his PGA card was endangered for the following season and he wanted to focus on that.

In the case of Argentina we already have Delbonis skipping. 

Meanwhile Del Potro is trying his very best to make it with Protected Ranking despite his knee recovery. The man certainly loves the olympics, which is curious given he always used to skip Davis Cup when he could (maybe he just doesn't like teamwork).

5 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

At least Thiem is big and won a Grand Slam. For some of the low ranked players who skip, what is their reason? Wouldn't being in the Olympics be a career highlight for them? I just don't understand it!

it seems tennis is a sport that their federation's competitions (Grand Slams) are more important than Olympics. Like Golf, football and baseball

4 minutes ago, George_D said:

it seems tennis is a sport that their federation's competitions (Grand Slams) are more important than Olympics. Like Golf, football and baseball

If you are a pro tennis player the Olympics is not what pays your bills. It’s basically an unpaid work trip.

49 minutes ago, NearPup said:

The Olympics not providing ranking points is a legit reason for some low ranked players. You see it in golf too, some Zimbabwean player who was one of the lowest ranked qualifier didn’t play in Rio because his PGA card was endangered for the following season and he wanted to focus on that.

Yes but it's one week out of the year. It really won't kill them. It's a good experience in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Welcome to the real world .

Now I realise that this is a site largely for Olympic fanatics but there are a huge no of sports fans who have a decidedly non Pollyanna view of the Olympics 

( which may have not always been the case but that's another story )

I'd say your average tennis or golf fan would much rather see a compatriot win a Major than the Olympics .

Now that isn't necessarily an argument against their Olympic inclusion - the Olympics couldn't survive economically if it concentrated on sports that had zero attention apart from the Olympics  ( for the simple reason that no one cares about these sports and only the magic dust of being in the Olympics gives them a slight moment  in the limelight  )

I don't think many tennis players or golfers  ( among many others I might say ) have dreamed  of being in an Olympic village  ever since they can remember 

I do have a problem with people who go on about national pride and sport  ( not that I'm not immune to it myself but I do realise that it can be both dumb and dangerous )

Eurovision is probably the most stupid example of this national pride stupidity -dreadful songs which will be forgotten tomorrow tied up with jingoism -ie my country's shithouse song is better than your country's shithouse song 

Olympics are not relevant in tennis as long as there no points awarded. 
i think you cannot exclude tennis from olympics as it is an too important sport. Unfortunately we will have to accept that the entry list will be lacking several big names every olympics. 

I would keep it as it is right now but reduce the field to 32 in singles and max 16 doubles and move the quotas to other sports