website statistics

Women's Rugby Sevens Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

LDOG

55 minutes ago, dcro said:

Meh, Europe should already feel lucky that Mexico basically got banned in their favor. Besides, 7th or 8th ranked team missing out is really not that big of deal for 12-teams tournament...

Exactly... the way World Rugby enacted this rule is a direct ban to Mexico or any other "minor" team of that region (not that I think they deserve a free pass to Tokyo), and should be compelled to write a better document for the next cycle. Something like:

"If the continental qualifier is not within top 20 in the world Rubgy Sevens' rankings, then an extra quota will be given at the World Qualification Event" 

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Meh, Europe should already feel lucky that Mexico basically got banned in their favor. Besides, 7th or 8th ranked team missing out is really not that big of deal for 12-teams tournament...

I think the problem came from the last Sevens World Cup where Mexico qualified as North American group winners but lost all 4 games, scored no points and conceded nearly 200. 

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

Exactly... the way World Rugby enacted this rule is a direct ban to Mexico or any other "minor" team of that region (not that I think they deserve a free pass to Tokyo), and should be compelled to write a better document for the next cycle. Something like:

"If the continental qualifier is not within top 20 in the world Rubgy Sevens' rankings, then an extra quota will be given at the World Qualification Event" 

There isn't exactly a world ranking in sevens. The fairest way, other than letting Mexico (or Jamaica) take the continental quota is for them to switch the priority of the continental events and World Series.

I think the big problem here is the fact there are 3 groups of 4 at the Olympics. Having a team that is much weaker than the other 11 gives a big advantage to the other teams in their group.

A 60 point win virtually guarantees one of the best 3rd place finishes.

11 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I think the big problem here is the fact there are 3 groups of 4 at the Olympics. Having a team that is much weaker than the other 11 gives a big advantage to the other teams in their group.

A 60 point win virtually guarantees one of the best 3rd place finishes.

Always hated this completely unjust system you see all the time in rugby. The toughest groups always get screwed over while the easy groups always have more teams advancing. Never made any sense.

hace 19 minutos, OlympicIRL dijo:

Always hated this completely unjust system you see all the time in rugby. The toughest groups always get screwed over while the easy groups always have more teams advancing. Never made any sense.

I think the system is only in place for the olympic tournament, the world series qualifiers and the u20 World championship of the XVs. It's not that many.

The olympics should really be 2 groups of 6 like most other team sports. Maybe scrap the quarterfinals and go directly to semis if it's too much games for rugby.

Edited by LDOG

5 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I think the system is only in place for the olympic tournament, the world series qualifiers and the u20 World championship of the XVs. It's not that many.

The olympics should really be 2 groups of 6 like most other team sports. Maybe scrap the quarterfinals and go directly to semis if it's too much games for rugby.

The European Champions Cup (the premier club championship in the northern hemisphere) also uses an unfair system like this where there are best runners up.

It’s not as bad though but still, never liked systems like this and especially those with 3 groups of 4 teams are the worst.

Edited by OlympicIRL

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 23:06, OlympicIRL said:

The European Champions Cup (the premier club championship in the northern hemisphere) also uses an unfair system like this where there are best runners up.

It’s not as bad though but still, never liked systems like this and especially those with 3 groups of 4 teams are the worst.

The Rugby (15s) world cup used this system, after  a fashion - 5 groups of 4 produce 5 group winners, 5 runners up and a best placed third team - the runners up and the third team played off for three Quarter final berths. It was a mess.

So rugby changed to a 4 group of 5 system, and broadly speaking, it works great - top 2 go to quarters, third wins at least guaranteed entry to next world cup, always plenty to play for.

In Olympic sevens - if we are sticking with 12 teams, I'd strongly push for 2 groups of 6 and a repechage/modified page system :

If groups A and B

then after group stage

#1: A1 v B2

#2: B1 v A2

#3: A3 v B4

#4: A4 v B3

#1B: A5 v B6

#2B: A6 v B5

#5: Loser #1 v Winner #4

#6: Loser #2 v Winner #3

#3B: Loser #1B v Loser #2B for 11th place

#4B: Winner #1B v Winner #2B for 9th place

#5B: Loser #3 v Loser #4 for 7th place

#6B: Loser #5 v Loser 6# for 5th place

#7: Winner #5 v Winner #6 for bronze

#8: Winner #1 v Winner #2 for gold and silver

For ease of public reference, simply call the brackets the Gold route (#1.#2,->#8), the Bronze route (#3,#4.->#5,#6->,#7) and the Placings (All the #B's) route

It's two more games per team, which might stretch the comp a smidge (3 days rather than 2), but really not that much for each team (2 extra matches, tops, over 3 days) - and frankly, a bit more rugby sevens will hurt no-one -  it was one of THE hits of Rio