website statistics

Slalom Canoeing ECA European Championships 2021

George_D

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

In fighting sports it is somewhat understandable that they only allow one athlete per country, but in slalom canoeing it doesn’t make sense. Obviously some might say that this sport isn’t important enough to have more athletes, but then why the hell are nations allowed to have multiple athletes in the same event in sports like triathlon or modern pentathlon?

It comes down to the number of quotas available. If canoe slalom got 36 athletes per event like in modern pentathlon then I imagine they would allow two or three boats from the same nation.

As of now, the C1 events have too few to justify nations doubling up. For K1 you could, maybe include a rule where nations can't qualify a second boat via the continental qualifiers.

7 minutes ago, dodge said:

I don’t see the problem really. Different sports have different rules and different allowances

No harm done

But IOC selects the actual quota? If they say it's one national entry per event no other governing body can do anything about it.

Remember the table tennis controversy when they disallowed the third entry per nation just so China doesn't sweep all the medals everywhere :lol:

I also think the difficulty of the Olympic Games in canoe slalom is relative to how you view it. Yes, there are less competitors than WC or EC, but that also means that’s it’s even tougher to make it (qualify) to the start line. Plus, there’s the added pressure of being your country’s sole representative.

I’d love to see more athletes in each event, but that’s just not a realistic possibility at the moment. Hopefully C2 will be given a chance to return in some form down the line because that was a fun event to watch.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Final Medal Count

Rank
Nation
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Total
CZE.gif Czech Republic
SVK.gif Slovakia
AUT.gif Austria
GBR.gif Great Britain
FRA.gif France
ESP.gif Spain
ITA.gif Italy
GER.gif Germany
SLO.gif Slovenia
SUI.gif Switzerland
Total
192857frds9zgqqf9xsy4x.png Road 192857frds9zgqqf9xsy4x.png
to Tokyo 2020

Final Medal Count Olympic Events Only

Rank
Nation
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Total
CZE.gif Czech Republic
AUT.gif Austria
FRA.gif France
ESP.gif Spain
SLO.gif Slovenia
ITA.gif Italy
SVK.gif Slovakia
GER.gif Germany
Total
192857frds9zgqqf9xsy4x.png Road 192857frds9zgqqf9xsy4x.png
to Tokyo 2020

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I also think the difficulty of the Olympic Games in canoe slalom is relative to how you view it. Yes, there are less competitions than WC or EC, but that also means that’s it’s even tougher to make it (qualify) to the start line. Plus, there’s the added pressure of being your country’s sole representative.

I’d love to see more athletes in each event, but that’s just not a realistic possibility at the moment. Hopefully C2 will be given a chance to return in some form down the line because that was a fun event to watch.

No chance slalom canoeing ever wins a competition versus the break dance crap for instance. I fully expect in 10-20 years there will be voices to have canoeing removed from Olympics alltogether as not being flashy & progressive enough :dunno:

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

No chance slalom canoeing ever wins a competition versus the break dance crap for instance. I fully expect in 10-20 years there will be voices to have canoeing removed from Olympics alltogether as not being flashy & progressive enough :dunno:

For slalom at least I'd argue those voices already exists. Too Euro-centric, requires a sport specific stadium...

The sprint version is using the same venue as rowing, it will never be removed. And slalom canoe is visually interesting, and it's actually gaining events with the extreme slalom. There's no reason to think that it's in any danger, a discipline was never removed for being too European, and it never will.