website statistics

Golf Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Agger

30 minutes ago, rajiv said:

I just saw this and am assuming you are talking about me .

If not read no more 

I've played a bit  of golf  ( result of many years in Australia - wouldn't have happened in India  ) and figure that unlike just about everyone else I've read here  I actually know something about the sport  . I very much doubt for instance many here would know one club from another . Indeed I had the golf bug for a few years .

Most here have a golf knowledge limited  to just looking  at the flag next to a player's name -just as they do for many sports 

The no 300 player is pretty ordinary by pro standards and plays on a minor Tour because he wouldn't qualify for the US Tour and then the European Tour . ( Unless maybe he's just starting out as a pro ) ( actually there are probably many dozens of amateurs who are better )

Just check out say the Asian Tour which is regularly dominated by no name players from real golfing countries 

Much better to have 4 golfers from GB . South Africa , Australia etc than anyone from China , Malaysia , Finland  etc if you want a serious competition .

But maybe this is all theoretical as I expect few top 60 players to turn up for this mickey mouse tournament . (And these guys ranked above 200 will be lucky to break 80 )

I happily admit that I've never played golf but I have watched quite a few tournaments throughout time and I live with a former golfer. I do not see the things that he does but I would say that I have a decent understanding of the game. 

Once again, among the 5 lowest ranked players going to Tokyo (at the moment) 1 has a PGA Tour Card, 2 have European Tour cards, 1 is ranked high enough on the Korn Ferry Tour to get a PGA Tour Card and one is doing well enough on the Challenge Tour to get a card for the European Tour. 

Sure there are some Asia Tour players in there as well but these would be the first to go!

I know there are mixed feelings about the Olympics in the golf world (among both players and fans) but talking about a "mickey mouse tournament" and players being lucky to break 80? That's pretty damn low!

I haven't looked at the course yet but in Rio there was ONE single round at 80 in the men's tournament in Rio. Almost all others were 77 or below. Rodolfo Cazaubón who was the 2nd lowest ranked player in 2016 had two 70-rounds. You suddenly think this will be that much tougher?

Yes, there's a long way from 292 to top 60 but one of the beautiful things about golf is that even the low ranked players can have a great round (or more).

The fact that you're even mentioning Finland makes the whole statement seem so much more wrong considering the level of the two finnish players.

10 hours ago, Cobi said:

:ESP Sergio García will not go to Tokyo and he will be replaced by Rafa Cabrera-Bello.

At least, Jon Rahm will be there and hopefully getting the first ever Olympic golf medal for Spain.

Rafa Cabrera has been replaced by Adri Arnaus. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

Anirban is in :clap:

Any idea if all these athletes/NOC have accepted quota or there is chance of further withdrawals? 

Possibly a few more golfers may opt out plus countries like New Zealand and Sweden may not accept their quotas due to low ranking

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Possibly a few more golfers may opt out plus countries like New Zealand and Sweden may not accept their quotas due to low ranking

Sweden has already officially selected them!

https://sok.se/pressmeddelanden/2021-06-21-sex-nya-namn-klara-for-tokyo.html