website statistics

Golf Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Agger

The 2018 World Cup had 28 national teams, including 14 from Europe, 8 from Asia-Pacific, 4 from the Americas, and 2 from Africa.

United States had Matt Kuchar and Kyle Stanley, England had Tyrrell Hatton and Ian Poulter.

1 hour ago, NaBUru38 said:

The 2018 World Cup had 28 national teams, including 14 from Europe, 8 from Asia-Pacific, 4 from the Americas, and 2 from Africa.

United States had Matt Kuchar and Kyle Stanley, England had Tyrrell Hatton and Ian Poulter.

lot of things have changed since then (even if some results by people like Phil Mickelson and/or Louis Oosthuizen in the last 2 majors seem to have turned time back :p)...:pope:

:ESP Sergio García will not go to Tokyo and he will be replaced by Rafa Cabrera-Bello.

At least, Jon Rahm will be there and hopefully getting the first ever Olympic golf medal for Spain.

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Garrick Higgo had quite a run in the last year. I bet nobody had him at the Olympics 12 months ago. Bezuidenhout needed a Top 10 finish at US Open to pass him according to Polish commentators (he finished 31st).

Louis Oosthuizen won't go to Tokyo, so Bezuidenhout qualifies anyway.

On 16/06/2021 at 21:41, phelps said:

it's obvious that our friend doesn't know how things work in Golf...

being the no. 300 in the world ranking doesn't necessarily mean that you can't play...

all the top ranked golfers come from the top 2 tours in the world (US PGA and European tour) because those 2 competitions normally award a lot more ranking points than any other organization...

but there are way more than 200 good golf players in the world, we often see even amateurs making the cut in the major tournaments, even at events like the British and/or the US Open...

by the way, replacing stroke play with match play (64 players in both tournaments, but only 8/max 16 seeded...then, random draw) could be a good idea...

I just saw this and am assuming you are talking about me .

If not read no more 

I've played a bit  of golf  ( result of many years in Australia - wouldn't have happened in India  ) and figure that unlike just about everyone else I've read here  I actually know something about the sport  . I very much doubt for instance many here would know one club from another . Indeed I had the golf bug for a few years .

Most here have a golf knowledge limited  to just looking  at the flag next to a player's name -just as they do for many sports 

The no 300 player is pretty ordinary by pro standards and plays on a minor Tour because he wouldn't qualify for the US Tour and then the European Tour . ( Unless maybe he's just starting out as a pro ) ( actually there are probably many dozens of amateurs who are better )

Just check out say the Asian Tour which is regularly dominated by no name players from real golfing countries 

Much better to have 4 golfers from GB . South Africa , Australia etc than anyone from China , Malaysia , Finland  etc if you want a serious competition .

But maybe this is all theoretical as I expect few top 60 players to turn up for this mickey mouse tournament . (And these guys ranked above 200 will be lucky to break 80 )