website statistics

Golf Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Agger

1 hour ago, dodge said:

No problem with the limits on countries and think the ranking is fine for bringing in other non-traditional countries

Personally, I'd try for 64 person fields with a straight knock out match play tournament (seeded)

Agreed. Over the years the world's top hundred male players have fairly consistently split into one third American, one third European and one third from the rest of the world so unless you want to allow twenty Americans into the field it's pretty representative. Realistically apart from the Americans only Australia, GB and SA have the strength in depth at any one time to qualify more than two male players so again this helps ensure universality. Overall I think the organisers have got it right although I do think it's worth looking at match play rather than stroke play.

it's obvious that our friend doesn't know how things work in Golf...

being the no. 300 in the world ranking doesn't necessarily mean that you can't play...

all the top ranked golfers come from the top 2 tours in the world (US PGA and European tour) because those 2 competitions normally award a lot more ranking points than any other organization...

but there are way more than 200 good golf players in the world, we often see even amateurs making the cut in the major tournaments, even at events like the British and/or the US Open...

by the way, replacing stroke play with match play (64 players in both tournaments, but only 8/max 16 seeded...then, random draw) could be a good idea...

10 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Agreed. Over the years the world's top hundred male players have fairly consistently split into one third American, one third European and one third from the rest of the world so unless you want to allow twenty Americans into the field it's pretty representative. Realistically apart from the Americans only Australia, GB and SA have the strength in depth at any one time to qualify more than two male players so again this helps ensure universality. Overall I think the organisers have got it right although I do think it's worth looking at match play rather than stroke play.

I'd love to see some sort of alternate stroke matchplay event, either same gendered or mixed (or both? :P ) in addition to the traditional stroke-play tournament.

The lack of any team event at the Olympics has been an objection from a lot of pro golfers from the start. The Olympic golf tournament really needs something to make it stand out, and frankly just making it a matchplay event wouldn't be enough IMO (there is already some big money "world championship" that has that kind of format).

Also, being a top 300 golfer is... not bad. There are a *lot* of pro golfers.

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

I'd love to see some sort of alternate stroke matchplay event, either same gendered or mixed (or both? :P ) in addition to the traditional stroke-play tournament.

The lack of any team event at the Olympics has been an objection from a lot of pro golfers from the start. The Olympic golf tournament really needs something to make it stand out, and frankly just making it a matchplay event wouldn't be enough IMO (there is already some big money "world championship" that has that kind of format).

Also, being a top 300 golfer is... not bad. There are a *lot* of pro golfers.

There is already a stroke play tournament for national teams of two, namely the World Cup which began as the Canada Cup in 1953, so I'm not sure how you would differentiate an Olympic tournament for teams. There also used to be an annual event called the Alfred Dunhill Cup* played at St Andrews between national teams of three who played each other one on one over 18 holes at stroke play.

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Dunhill_Cup

3 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

There is already a stroke play tournament for national teams of two, namely the World Cup which began as the Canada Cup in 1953, so I'm not sure how you would differentiate an Olympic tournament for teams. There also used to be an annual event at St Andrews between national teams of three who played each other one on one over 18 holes at stroke play.

The World Cup might be finished though. Last held in 2018

The Dunhill cup was the 3 on 3 format you’re talking about. Last run in 2000. As a kid I remember vividly Ireland winning!

6 minutes ago, dodge said:

The World Cup might be finished though. Last held in 2018

The Dunhill cup was the 3 on 3 format you’re talking about. Last run in 2000. As a kid I remember vividly Ireland winning!

Ireland won in both 1988 and 1990.