website statistics

Golf Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Agger

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Dragon said:

One more weekend of tournaments for men, two for women.

But this weekend is the men's US Open and next week is the women's US PGA championships.

So lots of ranking points available

Plus, these are the rankings. There will be withdrawals. No way all these golfers take part in Olympics. 

I have real problems with the Olympic golf qualification business if a golfer ranked # 286 qualifies ( ie the Chinese guy ranked #60 on the Olympic list )

Now I realise that THEY want a certain number of countries represented but you are getting people who can't get into even a B or C grade tournament .

It might be nice to have say 35 countries represented rather than 21  but this just makes the Olympic tournament even more of a giggle event in the eyes of golf fans 

How about this ( good ideas have to start somewhere ) :

the no of countries represented must be at least the greater no of

(1) all the countries which have  a golfer in the top ranked 100       

OR

(2) 10% of all Olympic countries ( currently that's 21 countries )

Host country must have at least one competitor 

Maximum of 4 per country 

This system would allow more than 2 golfers from the serious golf countries  ( apart from the US of course  who will probably always qualify four )

I think of these rather limited golfers who just qualify as being the Summer equivalent of Prince Albert of Monaco whom I remember sitting comfortably in the bobsleigh while his teammates and subjects pushed the darned  thing to get it moving 

1 hour ago, chinmoy said:

Can india qualify two golfers in men currently no one in top 60 ???

Lahri 63

Mane 64 

If we have the wave of withdrawals that some people in here think (I'm certainly not so sure), they could have a shot.

1 hour ago, rajiv said:

I have real problems with the Olympic golf qualification business if a golfer ranked # 286 qualifies ( ie the Chinese guy ranked #60 on the Olympic list )

Now I realise that THEY want a certain number of countries represented but you are getting people who can't get into even a B or C grade tournament .

It might be nice to have say 35 countries represented rather than 21  but this just makes the Olympic tournament even more of a giggle event in the eyes of golf fans 

How about this ( good ideas have to start somewhere ) :

the no of countries represented must be at least the greater no of

(1) all the countries which have  a golfer in the top ranked 100       

OR

(2) 10% of all Olympic countries ( currently that's 21 countries )

Host country must have at least one competitor 

Maximum of 4 per country 

This system would allow more than 2 golfers from the serious golf countries  ( apart from the US of course  who will probably always qualify four )

I think of these rather limited golfers who just qualify as being the Summer equivalent of Prince Albert of Monaco whom I remember sitting comfortably in the bobsleigh while his teammates and subjects pushed the darned  thing to get it moving 

"the Summer equivalent of Prince Albert of Monaco"? Seriously?

Johannessen may very well be on the way to a European Tour Card, Campos is on the PGA Tour, Yuan (at the moment) on the way to a PGA Tour card, Gavin Green is on the European Tour and Zanotti the same. That's the bottom five at the moment all on (or with chances of reaching) the top 2 tours.

The main issue is that the golf schedule is already packed and the Olympics haven't got the prestige (yet). Plenty of major golfers still feel strongly about participating and some of those who withdrew 5 years ago have made it clear that they regret doing so.

The universality is a major part of the Olympics and one of few things that still show some of the spirit of the first Olympic Games. Making a selection where even decent golfing nations like Denmark and Germany would struggle to qualify (in the men's tournament) would make things so unolympic that even I as a supporter of Olympic golf would say that it should be left out!