website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

Summary of the day

57kg:

absolutely no surprise (which is surprising itself :lol:) these 4 were expected to reach the SF. I still pick Takahashi over the Cuban. but for the bottom half now i have more doubts about the Mongolian. he almost lost to Davidovi (ITA), Edisherashvili wasn't very impressive himself. it will be 50/50.

65kg:

as far as I remember this guy Kilicsallayan is ranked #1 or #2 and he always loses ! I have to check some records to see when was the last time he achieved something. he had the dream draw but lost to France despite 8-0 lead ! the French guy himself lost 10-0 to Habat ! and now David Habat only has Greece on his way to the Olympics. it won't be very easy but I expect the American born Habat to qualify Slovenia (maybe for the first time in this sport ?)

bottom half was interesting, Bekbulatov failed to make weight (which is unbelievable) Oliver (USA) and Gadzhiev (POL) will wrestle for the quota. Oliver was poor today, he won his matches by the narrowest possible margin. I pick Gadzhiev with his ultra defensive style. he is boring though.

also no Olympics for the 2016 Rio Gold medalist Khinchegashvili who was COVID positive, his replacement Lomtadze (a world champion himself) lost to Gadzhiev on cautions.

74kg:

oh well Israel in the SF, that's a bad news for our guy in this weight. that's not surprising he had an easy draw, I was expecting Armenia to stop him in the QF but he lost to Greece! still the American guy of Israel will be underdog against Ukraine but that won't be easy and he can qualify.

in the bottom half, two Russian wrestlers will fight for the quota, for Slovakia or Belarus. Tsabolov lost to Demirtas and Demirtas himself lost to KadiMagomedov. Salkazanov was my early pick but I'm not sure anymore. I think it will be 50/50. this guy KadiMagomedov is like a snake. very dangerous.

86kg:

Baranowski was my early pick and after a poor start, he finished the morning session strongly, now he will face Takatani of Japan who was impressive today (after failing to qualify in the last seconds in Asia) I still pick Baranowski but the today version of Takatani is very dangerous.

we had lots of close matches in the bottom half and Makoev managed to beat the Cuban to face Abakarov (AZE) for the quota. my pick was Aminashvili who lost Abakarov, lost lots of points on his own attacks and was in a very bad shape. it will be a close match but I think Makoev has the upper hand.

97kg:

I was expecting 3 of these guys to be here and the 4th guy isn't really a surprise. I was expecting more from Baran (POL) but probably wrestling at the European Champs was a bad idea. he had a close match with Saritov, back and forth and finally Saritov scored a very nice 4pts throw for the win. I think Conyedo will be favorite against Bataev. but battle of two grandpas Andiitsev and Saritov is a little hard to predict. I pick Saritov but Andriitsev looked really good today. how old is he anyway? he looks 50 :lol: but a fresh 50

125kg:

Kozyrev won the early final against Baran, at some point it looked like the Polish guy is going to win but then Kozyrev changed gear in the 2nd period and won the match 7-1. I think Ligeti will be too easy for him.

bottom half was wide open and now we have IND and VEN wrestling for the quota ! Diaz (VEN) beat Azerbaijan 3-3 and Sumit of India had to come back from behind 3 times to reach here. he won his first 2 matches 2-2 while scoring the winning point in last few seconds. I think it will be close but the Indian is slightly the favorite. both guys are fat but very strong.

8 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Damn it.... Dilemma. Stay awake and watch or not ???. I have CEST +6 but early morning work???

Tell me about dilemma, at same time there :CZE  - :SVK Hockey and most likely last final of our hockey extraliga + wrestling semifinals + canoe slalom ECh...do not see what to watch first :lol: