website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

we have only one wrestler here, I have to admit before the start of the qualification process I would be happy with 10 quotas since I knew we are weak in some weights. but our freestyle team managed to continue the tradition of having a complete team at the Olympics and we somehow have 11 quotas already. interestingly 87kg Greco was one of the "safest" weights in my mind.

Ramin Taheri lost 1-1 in 2019 Worlds Quarterfinal, he could win the match if the officiating was "fair", then again Hossein Nouri lost the Asian Qualifier semifinal 4-4 despite leading comfortably 4-0 until the last 30 seconds. I mean they were VERY CLOSE twice before.

this time we are bringing a youngster Nasser Alizadeh. personally I don't have high hopes about him but we will see. 11 out of 12 in men's wrestling is still a good result. specially if Russia also fails to complete its team here :d

I think India only has chances in Women wrestling here for gaining any quotas ? Looks difficult in freestyle and greco roman. 

Is there any preview anywhere on womens wrestling event here or from someone on this forum ?

36 minutes ago, sameerph said:

I think India only has chances in Women wrestling here for gaining any quotas ? Looks difficult in freestyle and greco roman. 

Is there any preview anywhere on womens wrestling event here or from someone on this forum ?

I'll be happy if we don't get any quota because our federation is shameful not sending it's best athletes in women's category 

1.Seema is out of form don't expect much. She isn't the best in the weight 

2.Nisha is horrible.She lost by fall to Korea and she's the 2nd best Indian. Asian champion in 68kg from 2020 who could have won medal at Olympics, Divya was not chosen Bcz she was recovering from covid when trials happened. She did win gold in non olympic category though. 

3.Pooja is the 2nd best Indian here not the 2nd best wrestler though.  World silver medalist from 2018 Yasmine Adar of Turkey is also here. Pooja has more chances than other Indian women wrestlers here but Kiran could have won the 2nd quota easily. 

At least Divya and Kiran should have been there 

Thanks for that review. 

I think there is no clear favorite in womens 50Kg in India. Seema may or may not be India #1. If she gets back to form, she may still have a chance. The best in these lower categories usually come from Asia and all the good Asian wrestlers have already qualified. Is there anyone else in the entry list who is very good ?

9 minutes ago, sameerph said:

Thanks for that review. 

I think there is no clear favorite in womens 50Kg in India. Seema may or may not be India #1. If she gets back to form, she may still have a chance. The best in these lower categories usually come from Asia and all the good Asian wrestlers have already qualified. Is there anyone else in the entry list who is very good ?

Jessica MacDonald of Canada. 

Can't rule out the Uzbek and Taipei girl too. 

But I think all of them are beatable if Seema shows the form which she had shown a year or two back.  

This is Vinesh's weight category before she moved up. Not so difficult for India to get good wrestlers in this weight category. Maybe a temporary blip.

30 minutes ago, hckošice said:

:SVK Team Slovakia :SVK

Mens

Freestyle

-74 kg - Tajmuraz Salkazanov

-86 kg - Boris Makoev

Greco-Roman

-67 kg - Leoš Drmola

-77 kg - Denis Horváth

Womens

Freestyle

-68 kg - Zsuzsanna Molnár

Salkazanov is favourite for the gold both here as well as Tokyo (at least a medal in Tokyo, anything less will mean lack of form or injury)