website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

And with this, Venezuela will go from 9 (!) in Rio to 0 in Tokyo...

Unfortunately is the reflection of what is happening in the country, less and less support for the sport hence the poor results Venezuela has been giving starting some 4-5 years ago that will hit hard bottom from now on unless something happens

37 minutes ago, zob79 said:

I didn't have Saritov under observation for every second of his life to know if the Russian state inflicted doping upon him; I just pointed out the legal status of McLaren report.

I hope you're aware that Saritov had anti-doping tests at every major competition and they were all negative

I was being sarcastic - it makes no sense for Russia to help a Romanian dope.

19 minutes ago, dcro said:

And with this, Venezuela will go from 9 (!) in Rio to 0 in Tokyo...

Like Greece in gymnastics and rowing. Gymnastics we had 9 in Beijing, London and Rio. So far we have 0 for Tokyo. Rowing we had 10 in London and Rio. So far we have 3 for Tokyo...

42 minutes ago, rybak said:

Cutting number of available quotas could be one of the reasons....

Not really, if we remove the 2nd qualification tournament and trim the 1st tournament to only qualifying the finalists (basically turning it into the 2020 qualification system) Venezuela would have still qualified all nine of their athletes in 2016.

Venezuela had almost the same team as 2016. they are just 4 years older and weaker. they probably didn't invest much to find new talents and improve their level. sending exactly the same team after 4-5 years is a very bad sign for that sport.

since Venezuela's case was interesting, I went to check Iran's 2016 team. out of 12 wrestlers we had in Rio, 10 of them are retired or completely out of the picture. (I mean still active but not in top 5 in the country) and one of them has a very slim chance to make it again. which means most probably only 1 out of 12 wrestlers (our only wrestling gold medalist in 2016) will come back to make the team again in 2021. this is more or less the same for Russia and other wrestling nations. you can't count on a closed group of wrestlers for a long time.

11 hours ago, hckošice said:

Lucia :ECU:clap:

Adela :CZE:(

I can't believe what happened to Adéla :( Three posibilities to qualify for the Olympics and at every single each of them she needed one match to qualify for Tokyo. And at every single each of them she lost the most important match........ Hell of a bad luck ......

10 hours ago, MHSN said:

Venezuela had almost the same team as 2016. they are just 4 years older and weaker. they probably didn't invest much to find new talents and improve their level. sending exactly the same team after 4-5 years is a very bad sign for that sport.

since Venezuela's case was interesting, I went to check Iran's 2016 team. out of 12 wrestlers we had in Rio, 10 of them are retired or completely out of the picture. (I mean still active but not in top 5 in the country) and one of them has a very slim chance to make it again. which means most probably only 1 out of 12 wrestlers (our only wrestling gold medalist in 2016) will come back to make the team again in 2021. this is more or less the same for Russia and other wrestling nations. you can't count on a closed group of wrestlers for a long time.

Meanwhile for us the two Lőrincz brothers and Sastin are returning, Sastin and Tamás Lőrincz are retiring after Tokyo, maaaybe Viktor Lőrincz can still go for Paris, he's 31. Koprási is a new face in the Olympic team, but he's 34. And we got the 28 years old Russian.

So the ages of our wrestlers are.... 37, 34, 34, 31, 28, guess where this is going...

Alex Szőke is young, maybe we will even improve for Paris. But yeah, Hungarian wrestling isn't in a good shape, it can join Hungarian boxing as another combat sport where we are slowly disappearing from the top level.