website statistics

Diving FINA World Cup 2021

George_D

27 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Again, lack of competition tacking it's toll.

One of the French divers just hit the pool with her back :(

And one brit diver just withdraw 

Mexicans looking Okay, Gabriela Agundez 4th round dive scoring 79 and sitting third entering the final round, the quota is almost a lock

The other girl is clearly right now our third ranked diver or even 4th nationally when you put in the mix Alejandra Orozco and the promising teenager Maria Jose Sanchez

5 minutes ago, Braulio said:

And one brit diver just withdraw 

Mexicans looking Okay, Gabriela Agundez 4th round dive scoring 79 and sitting third entering the final round, the quota is almost a lock

The other girl is clearly right now our third ranked diver or even 4th nationally when you put in the mix Alejandra Orozco and the promising teenager Maria Jose Sanchez

I think it will be Orozco and Sanchez for individuals, if the later is in form.

With al these divers competing for the first time internationally in like a year or so, I wonder how the australians will look when they compete at THE OLYMPICS as their first competition in like 2 years?? I think they could suffer a lot from that, I think they should have sent a team to the World Cup but it looks the australians are taking very restrictive measures regarding Covid

Quotas in Women's 10m Platform:

:MAS Jun Hoong Cheong

:RUS Iuliia Timoshinina

:MEX Gabriela Agundez García/Montserrat Gutiérrez Lavenant

:GBR Andrea Spendolini Sireieix

:GER Elena Wassen

:KOR Halim Kwon

:SGP Shen-Yan Freida Lim

:GER Christina Wassen

:BRA Ingrid Oliveira

:RUS Anna Konanykhina

:IRL Tanya Watson @OlympicIRL

:ITA Sarah Jodoin Di Maria

:FRA Alais Kalonji 

Again, this is using FINA's own, a quick count gives me 57 individual divers; so in theory 11 spots should be left to reach the target 6 women.

From those 11, 2 of them are sure to go to Italy in 3m synchro, as they failed to qualify in individual.

That now gives me 9 quotas to be filled by 30 other possible divers entered for the synchro events.

Among the individuals, I can see :CAN Benfeito, McKay doubling and Abel as sure double starters. Down to 27/9

From Germany, Punzel will likely compete in 3 events, so probably I won't count her 2 synchro quotas, and neither her 10m partner. Now 24/9

For Malaysia, Pamg is locked for both platform events, and I'm also betting their synchro springboard duo will be selected. 21/9

Other almost sure double starters are :GBR Reid and :JPN Enomoto in 3m events, as well as :GBR Toulson, :JPN Arai and :MEX Orozco in platform.That will give us 16 synchro competitors with only 9 places to be distributed, so from the women's side it looks like no lucky losers will be advancing.

8 hours ago, Matej said:

Well, to be honest, we're forgetting that we have to wait for final Entry Lists. For example in Rio, 40 out of 136 athletes competed in 2 events, and 2 athletes even competed in 3 events. So the number could be very close to 136 also in Tokyo. But if the number will be exceeded, there's nothing FINA can do about it, but I also don't think IOC is going to make a big fuss about few extra athletes. Especially when theres athletics, that exceeds the quota limit every time

I think a reasonable rule of thumb is that where a country qualifies a synchronised team one of the pair is also likely to be competing in the individual events. GB has secured the maximum number of quotas available and although they brought 15 divers to this event to cover the 16 places I expect that they will likely select a team of 12/13 divers with some competing in both the individual and synchronised events.