website statistics

Diving FINA World Cup 2021

George_D

29 minutes ago, Matej said:

the 18 semifinalists guaranteed their ticket for Tokyo (respecting the NOC limit etc.), so they're safe. But those reallocated quotas on Wikipedia are a guess, because no one knows how many athletes we will have competing in two events and so.... But TOP 18 is qualified officially

Hvala.

This helped a lot. I have updated the qualification thread. but @mrv86 obviously if you find anything wrong, do not hesitate to edit and fix it.

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

Hvala.

This helped a lot. I have updated the qualification thread. but @mrv86 obviously if you find anything wrong, do not hesitate to edit and fix it.

Yeah in principle those semifinalists have their places secured.

I will wait until every event is complete though, as I’m afraid this time and under FINA’s own rules, the athlete quota is likely to be surpased.

So for the time being we can add the spots earned in semis, and correct them once FINA confirm the quotas awarded at this event.

5 hours ago, George_D said:

what about the "Re-allocation of unused quota"??

I think this time reallocation will be a long shot.

What FINA didn’t consider when amending their document is that, in previous editions most countries used sent their best competitors, so actually only 3-7 of the semifinalists via World Cup were different from those divers already qualified from the World Championships/Continental Qualifiers. So, when final entries came and given some divers competed in 2-3 events (plus quota rejection), there were 2-5 spots per individual event to be filled by the highest ranked among non qualifiers.

Speaking about this edition, I think at the end of World Cup, all qualified divers will add up more than 68 per gender. Legally FINA could not take the quotas awarded ti the semifinalists as it will likely be taken before TAS if they tried to cut them from Tokyo, but that will also mean this time no.”lucky loser” may get in.

I agree, FINA might try to remove the lower ranked top 18 athletes to try to fit the athlete quota, but any court challenge will likely be in favour of the athletes just from the way the qualification document is written.

I imagine for the 2024 Olympics there will be a change in the qualification process to ensure this doesn't happen again.

2 hours ago, Matej said:

the 18 semifinalists guaranteed their ticket for Tokyo (respecting the NOC limit etc.), so they're safe. But those reallocated quotas on Wikipedia are a guess, because no one knows how many athletes we will have competing in two events and so.... But TOP 18 is qualified officially

It's not a true! In diving we have a numer 138 divers, 68 per gender,  32 for women's teams, so 36 for two events, 18 per events. After world championships we have 34 places taken! If we have 34 places before World Cup plus 11 athletes in trampoline, and got for example 10 athletes in platform, we have 56 places, only... 12 for synchro event. You must remember about the limit! In women's trampoline only 5 places was taken by the same person in trampoline and platform. It is very depend on China, Mexico, UK who will arrive in Tokyo. In this case you will have more athletes than Fina rule in olympic system document. "It's not 18" it is "up to 18" Only 136 athletes gain quota. Nobody more. 

1 hour ago, Adriano said:

It's not a true! In diving we have a numer 138 divers, 68 per gender,  32 for women's teams, so 36 for two events, 18 per events. After world championships we have 34 places taken! If we have 34 places before World Cup plus 11 athletes in trampoline, and got for example 10 athletes in platform, we have 56 places, only... 12 for synchro event. You must remember about the limit! In women's trampoline only 5 places was taken by the same person in trampoline and platform. It is very depend on China, Mexico, UK who will arrive in Tokyo. In this case you will have more athletes than Fina rule in olympic system document. "It's not 18" it is "up to 18" Only 136 athletes gain quota. Nobody more. 

The qualification rules clearly state: ˝The 18 highest placed athletes at the FINA Diving World Cup 2020 will each obtain one (1) quota place for their NOC with a maximum of two (2) athletes per NOC˝ 

So this means all semifinals here have a spot at the Olympics. This doesn't mean 18 athletes from this competition will qualify, because also NOCs who already have quotas from before, are also included in this TOP 18. I understand your math, but you must know that FINA was wirtting these rules under the assumption that only 136 will be allocated during the process. It is now clear that this number will be overreached, and there's nothing FINA can do about it. They can't change the rules retro actively. 

But there might be a loop hole in the rules: ˝If an athlete who has obtained a quota place in accordance with FINA Rule BL 8.3.8.3.3.4 has not been entered to the Olympic Games, the quota place shall be reallocated˝ Does this mean the athlete with a quota has to compete in one event at the Olympics or else the NOC loses the quota? This might be a way for FINA to get closer to 136 limit....

3 minutes ago, Adriano said:

No, in officiall document you have "upon 18" not "18". 

Yes, but this 18 also include all NOCs that already have quotas from before. So, for example, in men's 10m platform, 13 new quotas were awarded, because 5 semifinalists already obtained quotas before. And 13 is ˝up to 18˝