website statistics

Diving FINA World Cup 2021

George_D

13 minutes ago, Fran-UDA said:

Can someone explain to me, how many qualify in this world cup?

Top four unqualified teams in the synchro events.

As for the individual events, anyone who made it to the semi-finals (assuming they are eligible) will qualify then the next best athletes will qualify depending on how many extra places remain (it depends if the athletes in the synchro events also compete in the individual event). Basically for each individual/sychro pair 34 athletes will compete.

50 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

and individual?

It's a bit complicated with so many divers there individually.

The top 18 of those not already qualified to the Games will get the quota, so basically anyone who get to the semifinals will have a spot for Tokyo.

About Polish chances, in the synchro they have very little hope. Individually I think Poland can get one in the Men's 3m springboard 

23 minutes ago, Braulio said:

It's a bit complicated with so many divers there individually.

The top 18 of those not already qualified to the Games will get the quota, so basically anyone who get to the semifinals will have a spot for Tokyo.

About Polish chances, in the synchro they have very little hope. Individually I think Poland can get one in the Men's 3m springboard 

What about Greek chances? Thank you.

10 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Does anyone who knows about diving think Greece has chances for quotas? I guess Molvalis would be our best hope?

Yes, Molvalis is your best hope, and with some good executions, he could be one of the new faces in 10m semifinals, or being one of the lucky losers that will potentially benefit from multiple starters (one diver selected by his NOC in more than one event).

Sadly, none of the other Greeks appeared at international competition, and that may cost them in terms of both, "recogenition" & "lenience" with the judging panel, not to mention the lack of proper competitions since 2019.

10 hours ago, rybak said:

Anyone know how look chances of Polish divers to be qualified?

Well, not good really.

Your woman is definitely not among the contenders in 3m, and though your men trampoline synchro could sneak into the final, they will need at least 3 out of 7 teams to be completely off form in the final.

However, if Lesiak is in form and can finally conquer his fears, he may advance to the semifinals, since he was close both at last Worlds and Europeans; if not, he'll sadly will have to watch Tokyo from home.

53 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Yes, Molvalis is your best hope, and with some good executions, he could be one of the new faces in 10m semifinals, or being one of the lucky losers that will potentially benefit from multiple starters (one diver selected by his NOC in more than one event).

Sadly, none of the other Greeks appeared at international competition, and that may cost them in terms of both, "recogenition" & "lenience" with the judging panel, not to mention the lack of proper competitions since 2019.

Okay thank you so much for this. I know nothing about diving so I really appreciate your comments!

Well, a promise is a promise  @intoronto and everyone else, here's my look at synchro competitions.

Just to clarify, I'm taking my predictions looking at results from 2018 and 2019, and lack of international meetings and training due to pool restrictions in many countries will play a factor here.

Women's 3m Trampoline

Already qualified: :CHN  :CAN  :MEX  :JPN

Well, let's start by doing an elimination of the weakest links: Brazil, Puerto Rico, Switzerland and Japan are  not likely to make the cut into the final.

From there, among the 9 other not qualified finalists, I don't think the South Koreans have really the level to be in top 8; Germany and Ukraine are debuting new combinations, and they could surprise the rest of the field, but I'm not really county finalists.

This leaves us with 6 teams. Amongst them, pairs from Russia and Great Britain are the outstanding ones and their passes, though not free of risks, will be mostly assured. Malaysians finished with silver medals at the last Asian Games, and so did the Americans, although Bacon had a different partner that time. However, if the Italian and Dutch duos can make clean entries, they could surpass the former two teams.

Picks:RUS  :GBR  :MAS  :USA 

Alternate(s): :NED  :ITA

Women's 10m Platform

Already qualified: :CHN  :MAS  :USA  :JPN

As the last time, let's start by throwing out those who, besides the above nations, haver zero chance: that is Norway, Puerto Rico, South Korea & Venezuela )the team that will not progress from the prelims). Easy right? We have again 6 teams fighting for the available spots.

Sure locks are Canadians Benfeito/McKay and Russians Beljaeva/Timoshina. Unless those pairs get injured or very unlucky, they're firmly in Tokyo. Who will join them? Most surely the British and Italian pairs, who are both consolidated solid scoring pairs, This time, Mexico is likely to end just out of contention, as Agundez is probably one of the worst divers I have the tragedy to ever see and will pull her partner out of contention, and Germany always seem to underperform, though this time their odds could change.

Picks: :CAN  :RUS  :ITA  :GBR  

Alternate(s): :MEX  :GER 

Men's 3m Trampoline

Already qualified: :CHN  :GBR  :MEX  :JPN

Definitely the thoughest event to predict, and not only because it has 22 teams competing at prelims, but because any little error will surely be a heavy mark on the true contenders. Who are them?

Let's start with Gagné/Imbeau-Dulac from Canada, who had to retire at Gwangju, but had very nice showings at the Pan Am Games and World Series in 2019. Germany still has veteran Hausding paired with Rudiger and they are quite consistent at their showings as are European champions Shleikher/Kuznetsov from Russia. Finally, Ukraine's Gorshkovozov/Kolodiy and USA's Hixon/Capobianco are also established teams that on a good day can alter the "natural" order and even finish with a podium.

Picks: :RUS  :GER  :UKR  :USA

Alternate(s): :CAN (I'll be quite glad if Imbeau-Dulac finally conquers his demons and puts all out there, proving me wrong)

Men's 10m Platform

Already qualified: :CHN  :RUS  :GBR  :JPN

Another nail bitter to the end, not quite defined yet, except for Ukraine's place with Sereda/Serbin being clear away from the rest.

The other contenders, in no particular order are: Canada with a young duo that improved quite a lot in a couple of weeks in 2019 and I'll surely like them to nail all their entries; Kim/Woo from South Korea will be hoping to repeat that 6th place on home soil; the new US pair, LoSchiavo/Dinsmore, who have been working together for some time and could obtain a nice result here; Germans Massenberg and new partner Wesemann who are an enigma, but could pull and upset, and finally, the made up/weird pairing of Garcia/Willars from Mexico, who are a combination of (inconsistent) experience and (promising) youth )I'll save my ranting on this abortion created by our government later)

Picks: :UKR  :CAN  :USA  :MEX  (just barely)

Alternate(s): :KOR  :GER 

I agree in almost everything you pick @mrv86 and I am very intrigued about the new pairing of Garcia/Willars. I was surprised that Randal was not paired with Diego Balleza, well Balleza (Universiade Gold Medalist in 2019 and World Champion in Team Event at 2019) is not even in the team, why? I would love to know! what is the reason behind this odd new pairing, also where is Kevin Berlin? Panam Champion in 2019 individual and synchro with who? Garcia.

It's like Ivan Garcia was going to be on the team for the olympic qualifier YES no matter what so they just paired with Randal who is our best prodige in recent years to justify his inclusion. Garcia is in a relationship with Paola Espinosa who is a very good and close friend with Ana Guevara who is in charge of the Sports Comission in Mexico.