website statistics

Fencing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

phelps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
5 hours ago, Benolympique said:

i just saw the calendar of events, how many events will be left in each weapon to qualify for tokyo? because it seemed to me that the team foil was finished and that there was only one event in épee and sabre, thank you

There are still 1 GP and 4 WC to go for Fencing, as team qualification as individual.

The tournaments will be defined by FIE in a date from TBD to April 5th.

Also, there are 4 zonal qualifying events remaining. Only Asian confederation has updated a date on its calendar. April 15th to 16th in Seoul, :KOR

1 hour ago, Laraja said:

There are still 1 GP and 4 WC to go for Fencing, as team qualification as individual.

The tournaments will be defined by FIE in a date from TBD to April 5th.

Also, there are 4 zonal qualifying events remaining. Only Asian confederation has updated a date on its calendar. April 15th to 16th in Seoul, :KOR

The European event will be in Madrid :ESP (April 17th to 18th), already confirmed by our national federation.

I am not 100% sure of this, but I read that the African event will take place in Cairo :EGY on April 15th.

• 1 month later...

According to the president of the Mexican Fencing Federation, FIE is now proposing to cancel every continental qualification tournament and replace them with 3 global events, one for each weapon: Sabre in Budapest, Epée in Kazan & Foil in Doha.

Source (in Spanish)

57 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

According to the president of the Mexican Fencing Federation, FIE is now proposing to cancel every continental qualification tournament and replace them with 3 global events, one for each weapon: Sabre in Budapest, Epée in Kazan & Foil in Doha.

Source (in Spanish)

Would this change the continental quotas? Or would the best fencers from each continent qualify based on how they do there?

Hmmm, FIE information letter of 21-25 January says that the remaining World Cups (+GP, but that was known already) are grouped in Budapest, Kazan and Doha, continental QTs seem to be still on the calendar so far

https://static.fie.org/uploads/24/124703-lettre info 1-21 ang.pdf