website statistics

Fencing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

phelps

As for the discussion here, a lot of countries have different immigration laws, and although it’s easy to think so , a lot of the times the representative of a country is a legal immigrant who has a connection to the country and want to represent it.

we have in Israel for example the “law of return “ dated to the 1950’s , it gives athletes a chance to make “Alliyah” and then represent the country, there is no money involve and the I’d is not easy to get . I believe that it’s the same in France and in other countries as well 

I would rather compare current world of "competing for whatever country I want" to the world of soccer, ice hockey or basketball. It has become a business and I think that we will be able to see it more and more. As mentioned above, athletes decide to represent another country because that country offers better conditions. It is like when someone play football for "FC Villagers" :-D .. a later is wanted by FC Slavia Prague. Of course, he goes, they offer better conditions and salary. From Slavia Prague he may go to Chelsea where are even better conditions and way higher salary. And in current world of Olympic sports?

Oksana Chusovitina -》 :USR - :UZB - :GER 

For me, personally very sad, :CZE  freestyle skier Matěj Švancer. Winter Youth Olympic Games champion, world junior champion and big candidate to take one of the Olympic medals in Beijing 2022. Decided to compete for :AUT  from next season. Competition is higher there but he trains in :AUT and their national team offers better conditions than :CZE national team as he said. I am really sad that he is not going to compete under our flag but on the other side, it does not make me cheer for him less. If he makes the Olympic Team, I think most of the Czechs will be still cheering for him and happy if he makes the medal. 

As another example, we may say some of the French speaking countries in Africa, where many great football players were born and later went to France and decided to take the French citizenship. We can't criticize them because it is what they do for living. As any other athletes in any other sports. 

I think it has become a common part of the world of sports and I think it should be respected from the side of Federation, opponents and fans. 

13 hours ago, Benolympique said:

to answer your question, France has a lot of black athletes or arab for reasons: we have a lot of overseas territories (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Martin & Saint Barthélémy, French Guyana, Reunion Island, Mayotte, New Caledonia, French Polynesia and Tahiti, Wallis and Futuna); second reason due to our colonial past, many athletes are of African origin (Senegal, Cameroon, Ivory Coast ..... to name only the main ones) and from Magreb countries (Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco)

Your history is clear in that, a consecuences for being a big empire with many colonies in all the world, i was surprise to see that there was at least one "minority" in every team, so i "guess" may be there is a "minority quota" or may be not, i dont know, is something very "strange" in this part of the world which dont exist nothing like that: all the athletes are elected by sports reasons and not political reasons.....thanks for the answer Ben, dont understand me wrong.

Of course, in countries with laws to prevent racism, my question can be  clearly missunderstood like the  case of Intoronto and others users , not all the world is like your countries, may be that thing dont be forgotten.

3 minutes ago, konig said:

Your history is clear in that, a consecuences for being a big empire with many colonies in all the world, i was surprise to see that there was at least one "minority" in every team, so i "guess" may be there is a "minority quota" or may be not, i dont know, is something very "strange" in this part of the world which dont exist nothing like that: all the athletes are elected by sports reasons and not political reasons.....

Of course, in countries with laws to prevent racism, my question can be  clearly missunderstood like the  case of Intoronto and others users , not all the world is like your countries, may be that thing dont be forgotten.

in France there are a lot of black athletes. and that has never posed a problem in France. after I do not know di it is also the case in other European countries

I sometimes mess around with stats if an international federation doesn't provide visual aid in some form, like how I couldn't find anything on FIE's site that shows how the world ranking changed over time (like, event by event). So I made these because I wanted to see how much of a clusterfuck men's team epée was.

How the world ranking of men's team epée changed since Rio for the 9 qualified teams:

me1.PNG

And the fight for the last few quotas between :UKR  :KOR  :CHN  :RUS  and :HUN where we ended up being the big losers of this Olympic cycle in this event. 

me2.PNG

On 28/04/2021 at 19:07, Benolympique said:

concerning the case of Sasha Zhoya he has 3 nationalities Australia, country of birth, France, country of his mother, and Zimbabwe, country of his father, he chose France, after I do not know the reasons, and we are very happy that he runs under the colors of France

The article I read stated that if he competed for France he could be a funded full time athlete whereas Australia didn't make such an offer .

He has lived his whole life in Australia 

Sounds like a case of money to me 

• 3 weeks later...

:CAN Team Canada :CAN 

Marc-Antoine Blais Bélanger (Montreal, QC) – Men’s Individual Épée
Alex Cai (Toronto, ON) – Men’s Team & Individual Foil
Shaul Gordon (Richmond, BC) – Men’s Individual Sabre
Jessica Guo (Toronto, ON) – Women’s Team & Individual Foil
Eleanor Harvey (Hamilton, ON) – Women’s Team & Individual Foil
Gabriella Page (Blainville, QC) – Women’s Individual Sabre
Kelleigh Ryan (Ottawa, ON) – Women’s Team & Individual Foil
Eli Schenkel (Vancouver, BC) – Men’s Team & Individual Foil
Maximilen Van Haaster (Montreal, QC) – Men’s Team & Individual Foil

Substitutes:
Blake Broszus (San Diego, California)
Alanna Goldie (Calgary, AB)

Only surprise is Cai beating out Brozus for the last foil spot, as the latter is ranked much higher. I don't expect that much from this team, but maybe an outside shot at a medal exists for Harvey or Guo in the individual or the team foil women's event.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...