website statistics

Fencing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

phelps

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

but that least that's much better than losing your chance completely for reasons you can't do anything about.

I asked that question because unless something extra ordinary happens tonight (or tomorrow morning), Iran is going to miss the Sabre World Cup in Egypt, for the same old reason. denying visa. they are still trying through FIE though.

the first thing I checked was to see who are the hosts of the next world Cups, Italy, Hungary and Poland, none of them are notorious to create these kind of problems , so hopefully nothing bad happens.

:fingers:

Zonal Qualifier – Asia & Oceania April 15–16, 2020 South Korea Seoul
Zonal Qualifier – Africa April 17–18, 2020 Egypt Cairo
Zonal Qualifier – America April 17–18, 2020 Panama Panama City
Zonal Qualifier – Europe April 18–19, 2020 Spain Madrid

With Verwijlen 14th currently holding the European quota and Tulen 17th, I found out that the Dutch NOC requirement to not refuse a quota (earned through ranking or the qualification tournament) this time is to be in Top 14 of the ranking (max. 3 fencers per country) as of April 2020...totally insane in an event where almost everyone who qualify has a realistic chance to win a medal.

Epee has absolutely insane ranking. If you realize there is 8th in Rank :KAZ Kurbanov who has not secured the Olympic spot or on 10th place :JPN Minobe who is currently FIE Rank world No.3 .... Just proves it is getting more difficult to get to the Olympics than win a medal in there. 

10 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Epee has absolutely insane ranking. If you realize there is 8th in Rank :KAZ Kurbanov who has not secured the Olympic spot or on 10th place :JPN Minobe who is currently FIE Rank world No.3 .... Just proves it is getting more difficult to get to the Olympics than win a medal in there. 

From what I can tell, this is more of a team’s being better than individuals issue. They’ll still have a second chance of course at the zonal qualifiers next year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

From what I can tell, this is more of a team’s being better than individuals issue. They’ll still have a second chance of course at the zonal qualifiers next year.

yeah, with just 1 or 2 places up for grabs...

when you have at least all the top 50 in the WR well capable on a given day to win a world cup medal (if not a major title)...

there's really too little room for fencers not coming from the top 6/7 Nations in each discipline (especially Epee), who are granted their spot in the individual events only because of the team qualification (which is even more crazy when you think that also a almost non existent continent like Africa has a granted team spot, if they are just decent enough to make the top 16 -when only 4 teams overall does qualify other than the continental representation -also in this case, only 1 place for Europe compared to the same treatment for the Americas, that obviously don't have the same depth)...

to me, there are many things to be reviewed in the Fencing Olympic status and qualification process (they absolutely deserve more teams in the team events -with a different balance in the continental representation- and more individual spot for athletes not coming from those stronger teams)...