website statistics

Fencing EFC European Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

What are your predictions for tomorrow @Dunadan? We have the 2nd seeded athlete in foil and sabre and the 3rd one in epee. The president of our national federation said he was hoping to get at least one quota, but I am not as optimistic as him...

Qualifications to Tokio are worst in our history. We have only individual and team OQ in epee women. Michal Siess, who was highest ranked in foil, lost today in quarterfinal.

Tomorrow we have chance to improve our situation. I'm not optimistic...

24 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I too see a Mixed Weapon Team Event (either by gender, or mixed) as a possible alternative, but I know there’s a lot of resistance to something like that within the Fencing community. 

Because mixed weapon team events are a joke, and it’s literally impossible to do a mixed gender fencing event in a way that is fair (same problem the mixed judo team event is running into).

I honestly believe that with this idiotic quota reduction it´s time for team competitions to abandon the program.

When you actually see that between 5-8 fencers in each weapon and gender will only be in Tokyo because they´re needed to fill a quota for a team (the one's with continental / host  places in particular), and some very competent individuals being left out because of that ridiculous 8 team "competition", then you should left space for more countries to send their best, respecting the 3 per country for those powerhouses that can actually qualify them.

44 minutes ago, Cobi said:

What are your predictions for tomorrow @Dunadan? We have the 2nd seeded athlete in foil and sabre and the 3rd one in epee. The president of our national federation said he was hoping to get at least one quota, but I am not as optimistic as him...

Yeah, although it's quite impossible to know the fencers' form I'd consider a great success for Spain to get a quota.

Imo the best chance is in women's foil (where being no.1 in pools could be extremely important with Israel potentially not accepting the quota if won). In sabre I think Pascu will take the quota. In men's epee there's a lot of competitive fencers as usual, Pereira is one of the favorites but I'd give him a 15% chance or so.

5 hours ago, Dunadan said:

What said above by Wumo, but consider that Pustilnik never made the top 8 in the qualifying period so it could end like in 2016 (Hatuel won but Israel NOC refused the quota).

This time as I understand there will be no problem like with Hatuel so that good thing 

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Exactly I always felt there must be a mixed team more than enough. All 6 fencers in each weapon Men and women competing with maximum 10 points per match. 

no, never...:finger: :stop:

rather, throw Fencing out of the Olympics in full...

there's no need to ruin another sport because of the idiots running the IOC, thanks...

better alone that with bad company...:bones: :thumbdown: :hairpull:

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

I honestly believe that with this idiotic quota reduction it´s time for team competitions to abandon the program.

When you actually see that between 5-8 fencers in each weapon and gender will only be in Tokyo because they´re needed to fill a quota for a team (the one's with continental / host  places in particular), and some very competent individuals being left out because of that ridiculous 8 team "competition", then you should left space for more countries to send their best, respecting the 3 per country for those powerhouses that can actually qualify them.

There's nothing ridiculous about the team competitions, they have a long history and they actually make sense as separate events, unlike most team competitions in individual sports. The issue is with the qualification system. Because as it stands, the team events are waaay more important for the Olympic qualification, 144 out of the 212 quotas come from the team qualifiers. There should be a new system where half of the quotas come from the team qualifiers and the other half from the individual qualifiers. 

2 minutes ago, Vektor said:

There's nothing ridiculous about the team competitions, they have a long history and they actually make sense as separate events, unlike most team competitions in individual sports. The issue is with the qualification system. Because as it stands, the team events are waaay more important for the Olympic qualification, 144 out of the 212 quotas come from the team qualifiers. There should be a new system where half of the quotas come from the team qualifiers and the other half from the individual qualifiers. 

It is ridiculous to call it a competition when it's a 8-9 team direct knock-out, as opposed to the former system with pools, then knock outs, which I'd love to see reinstated at least at World Cup level.

4 minutes ago, Vektor said:

If the IOC was willing to accept additional quotas, then they could use a modified version of the PanamSports model. 16 fencers from teams (2 from each), and then 16 individual fencers per event. That would be a reduction of 2 quotas per individual event, but you’d actually end up with more countries competing, and possibly better individual competitions.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela