website statistics

Fencing EFC European Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

When you think about it only 18 nations get to compete in each individual fencing event. That's pretty strict.

They also get the most quotas per individual event of any combat sport though. Karate has 10, Wrestling and Taekwondo have 16, Boxing has between 16-28, and Judo has 19+ (generally some where in the mid/upper 20s). Fencing gets 34 quotas per individual event.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

They also get the most quotas per individual event of any combat sport though. Karate has 10, Wrestling and Taekwondo have 16, Boxing has between 16-28, and Judo has 19+ (generally some where in the mid/upper 20s). Fencing gets 34 quotas per individual event.

But 24 of those quotas are reserved for the team athletes. If you are not a great power and don't have a competitive team, you only have 2 quotas by ranking (in Europe) and another one by the Qualification Tournament. For a small country in fencing like us is extremely hard to get a single quota.

1 minute ago, Cobi said:

But 24 of those quotas are reserved for the team athletes. If you are not a great power and don't have a competitive team, you only have 2 quotas by ranking (in Europe) and another one by the Qualification Tournament. For a small country in fencing like us is extremely hard to get a single quota.

Right, the team events severely limit participation in Fencing. If the FIE/IOC wanted to increase participation, they’d have to reform how quotas are distributed for teams events, or drop the team events all together.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, the team events severely limit participation in Fencing. If the FIE/IOC wanted to increase participation, they’d have to reform how quotas are distributed for teams events, or drop the team events all together.

Exactly I always felt there must be a mixed team more than enough. All 6 fencers in each weapon Men and women competing with maximum 10 points per match. 

1 minute ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Exactly I always felt there must be a mixed team more than enough. All 6 fencers in each weapon Men and women competing with maximum 10 points per match. 

I too see a Mixed Weapon Team Event (either by gender, or mixed) as a possible alternative, but I know there’s a lot of resistance to something like that within the Fencing community. 

3 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

It doesn't make any sense in fencing to have a mixed team. They already tested in cadets and the Youth Olympics and it was a mess.