website statistics

Diving Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

mrv86

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Pretty much, we'll be around 5 athletes above the max quota once all is over so the impact of FINA not honouring their qualification procedure will only impact a handful of athletes.

That’s zero consolation to the affected divers and will rightly lead to court action.

On 02/06/2021 at 14:39, Benolympique said:

380 is better than in 2016 you had 366, I wanted a team of 400 athletes but we will know more around 380 too

Great Britain fell at the very final hurdle in both softball and women's basketball - if they had managed to get past Italy and south Korea respectively you could have added another 24 or so...

:MEX team for Tokyo 2020 was revealed yesterday

On a positive note, I’m glad that the results from the control event were respected and any “finger” designation avoided, especially regarding Paola Espinosa who won’t be going :d

On the other hand, some of this divers will be debuting on a high level event, so I think this Olympics could be taken as a generation relay and not so much as a sure medal haul. 

Best options will come from women’s 3m synchro, where basically any team can grab the bronze, as the other two positions will go to China and Canada in that order; and Rommel Pacheco in men’s 3m individual which I’d love to see finally winning an Olympic medal.

So, total number will be 14, with the only athletes doubling up being the women in 10m platform @Benolympique

Anyone knows how the reallocation quota for this works. Im going over my head about it a lot, cause :ESP Arevalo was 15th in the world cup and if i'm doing the calculation correctly he's out of the games...

MY CALCULATION.

There are 68 places per gender, thats 34 per event (in theory)

Looking at men's 3 metres, already have 24 in individual, + the athletes at Syncro 3 metres event that only compete in that event ( :GBR Goodfellow, :MEX Castillo & Celaya, :GER Rudiger, :ITA Masaglia & Tocci, :USA Hixson, :JPN Sakai)

That makes 32. If the chinese athletes are the same at individual and syncro, :KOR and :ESP get a reallocated second quota, and :ITA Masaglia can do individual. If they are different, they are out.

In women’s 10m there are two sure vacancies: they should go to :GER Elena Wassen (already nominated by national federation) & :IRL Tanya Watson.

After Canadian nationals another 2 vacancies (Benfeito already picked in the individual event, but I don’t know if she and McKay could lose synchro quota) should be open in that event, and those should be going to :SGP Freida Lim & :NOR Anne Tuxen

8 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

In women’s 10m there are two sure vacancies: they should go to :GER Elena Wassen (already nominated by national federation) & :IRL Tanya Watson.

After Canadian nationals another 2 vacancies (Benfeito already picked in the individual event, but I don’t know if she and McKay could lose synchro quota) should be open in that event, and those should be going to :SGP Freida Lim & :NOR Anne Tuxen

Benefito and McKay are officially named in synchro.