website statistics

Diving Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

mrv86

I note that Australia is unrepresented in any of the synchronised events  ( they have 7 of 8 possible places in the individual events )

I read that they declined to participate at the qualification event for covid reasons 

I checked the last 5 Olympics - that's 20 synchro events and 20 possible medals . 

Australia won 7 medals in synchro diving  - which ,while not in China's league,  is pretty good . So that was quite a decision 

Australia also declined to participate in the World Athletics World Relays  -they only had one medal of a possible 20 there  so this is unlikely to be a medal loss decision . still pretty hard on some individuals who dreamed of being Olympians 

On 26/05/2021 at 23:13, OlympicIRL said:

Yes I know, but it doesn't say how they will come up with that final total of 136. The "up to 18 athetes" part is probably what they meant but don't know how they will be able to wriggle out of it when it says clearly "The 18 highest placed athletes at the FINA Diving World Cup 2021 will each obtain one(1) quota place for their NOC".

So that definitely gives any athletes who finished in top 18 at World Cup every right to request their place at the Olympics as the document says they will be awarded a quota. At the very least any appeal would have a good chance.

Edit: I see there is a hierarchy of qualification events so yeah they can use that to say that where they cutting the quotas. Still worth an appeal based on the wording though.
And that is my quota of interpreting Olympic qualification documents for the foreseeable :d 

Doing the rough maths, 8 x 2 x 4  = all the synchro quotas = 64, leaving 72 which is 18 per individual event. so there are 18 individual quota places available per individual event, but anyone who earns a place by right in Synchro (e.g Tom Daley, Jack Laugher, Grace Reid and Lois Touslon, for example) doesn't need a 'quota place'. so if you imagine stroking those out (they still get in the event, of course, but they just don't take up a quota) you just keep going until you've handed out 18 places to individual divers only - I assume the same rule may apply if a diver is diving in two individual events by right.

Of course, these 'bonus' places can't be technically handed out until the Synchro nations have conformed their picks, but we know who most of them will be, and I think that's where the confusion lay. It certainly wasn't 18 actual spots at the last qualifer.

GB have named their diving team of twelve with four divers doubling up in individual and synchronised events. I don't know whether this releases any more places for athletes who haven't yet qualified.

https://www.teamgb.com/article/daley-and-laugher-lead-tokyo-diving-hopes-for-team-gb/69pW6bb2sCHwtAI6OfjF7q

22 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

GB have named their diving team of twelve with four divers doubling up in individual and synchronised events. I don't know whether this releases any more places for athletes who haven't yet qualified.

https://www.teamgb.com/article/daley-and-laugher-lead-tokyo-diving-hopes-for-team-gb/69pW6bb2sCHwtAI6OfjF7q

I counted 16 quotas for you, finally you have 12 .. what is your total quota objective for great britain?

6 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

I counted 16 quotas for you, finally you have 12 .. what is your total quota objective for great britain?

I think GB is likely to have a team of approximately 380*. It's very unusual for any team to use all 16 quotas in diving because the best divers often double up. Like China, GB has won the maximum number of quotas in diving at the last four games but they've never selected the 16 divers to which they were entitled. I predicted that GB would only pick 12/13 divers after the Tokyo qualifiers even though they used 15 divers there.

* I'm a bit uncertain about the numbers mainly because they have qualified for all twelve athletics and swimming relays and I really don't know how many extra athletes they'll take to cover eventualities in those events. 

9 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

I think GB is likely to have a team of approximately 380*. It's very unusual for any team to use all 16 quotas in diving because the best divers often double up. Like China, GB has won the maximum number of quotas in diving at the last four games but they've never selected the 16 divers to which they were entitled. I predicted that GB would only pick 12/13 divers after the Tokyo qualifiers even though they used 15 divers there.

* I'm a bit uncertain about the numbers mainly because they have qualified for all twelve athletics and swimming relays and I really don't know how many extra athletes they'll take to cover eventualities in those events. 

380 is better than in 2016 you had 366, I wanted a team of 400 athletes but we will know more around 380 too

19 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

380 is better than in 2016 you had 366, I wanted a team of 400 athletes but we will know more around 380 too

I thought we might exceed 400 but falling at the final hurdle in team sports like women's basketball and softball didn't help. Plus we haven't won as many quotas in sports like shooting and table tennis as I'd hoped.

Our biggest teams at Games on foreign soil were in Seoul (382) and Barcelona (389) so it will likely be close.

I would think GB, France, Germany and Italy will all have similar sized teams.

2 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

I thought we might exceed 400 but falling at the final hurdle in team sports like women's basketball and softball didn't help. Plus we haven't won as many quotas in sports like shooting and table tennis as I'd hoped.

Our biggest teams at Games on foreign soil were in Seoul (382) and Barcelona (389) so it will likely be close.

I would think GB, France, Germany and Italy will all have similar sized teams.

i see a battle with germany ahead, france and great britain just behind .. italy is distanced by spain. and i hope canada will be behind spain germany france and gb

2 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

i see a battle with germany ahead, france and great britain just behind .. italy is distanced by spain. and i hope canada will be behind spain germany france and 

Germany's population is a third bigger than France, GB and Italy which helps but overall I think they have underperformed as a country since reunification which is why I'm not expecting them to have a significant advantage. Not sure about Canada but they obviously have an easier qualification route in most sports than the Europeans. We'll know soon enough anyway with the qualification process finally coming to a close in little more than a month.

8 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Germany's population is a third bigger than France, GB and Italy which helps but overall I think they have underperformed as a country since reunification which is why I'm not expecting them to have a significant advantage. Not sure about Canada but they obviously have an easier qualification route in most sports than the Europeans. We'll know soon enough anyway with the qualification process finally coming to a close in little more than a month.

Yea without a doubt. Canada gained +39 quotas through two easy team sport quotas (men's rugby and women's water polo) + addition of softball to these games. Even with baseball + softball in 2008, Canada is on track to surpass that here. I think credit has to be given to a focus on qualifying as much team sports as possible. Own the Podium (Canada's medal winning funding process) had started a team sport focus in the last quad, and its paying dividends here. If men's baseball + men's basketball qualify, the team size will be just over 400.