website statistics

Diving Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

mrv86

1 hour ago, sami-eg said:

and :NED & :MAS in 10m platform

Wait, what? The Netherlands should have a qualified athlete there through the world championships in 2019..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 19/05/2021 at 23:52, juliosilva said:

Today the Brazilian media said that the qualification rules was changed by FINA shortly after the World Cup and only the athletes who reached the finals there guaranteed their spots to Tokyo 2020. So now we only have two qualified athletes instead of four, but the Brazilian Olympic Committee will appeal. What a mess:facepalm:

There is a link (in portuguese) about this controversy: https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/colunas/olhar-olimpico/2021/05/19/canetada-tira-vaga-de-brasileiros-que-estavam-classificados-para-toquio.htm?utm_source=chrome&utm_medium=webalert&utm_campaign=blog-olhar-olimpico

There is a very strong ground for appeal because although it says "up to 18 athletes", the qualification document says clearly:

The 18 highest placed athletes at the FINA Diving World Cup 2021 will each obtain one(1) quota place for their NOC with a maximum of two (2) athletes per NOC.

Very hard for them to then be able to deny an athlete who finished in top 18 from taking their place, no matter what rules they have about a quota limit because as far as I see there is nowhere in that document saying how that limit will be achieved (as in who do they take the quotas from).

41 minutes ago, intoronto said:

But it also says "The total number of athletes to be entered by all NOCs shall not exceed 136."

Yes I know, but it doesn't say how they will come up with that final total of 136. The "up to 18 athetes" part is probably what they meant but don't know how they will be able to wriggle out of it when it says clearly "The 18 highest placed athletes at the FINA Diving World Cup 2021 will each obtain one(1) quota place for their NOC".

So that definitely gives any athletes who finished in top 18 at World Cup every right to request their place at the Olympics as the document says they will be awarded a quota. At the very least any appeal would have a good chance.

Edit: I see there is a hierarchy of qualification events so yeah they can use that to say that where they cutting the quotas. Still worth an appeal based on the wording though.
And that is my quota of interpreting Olympic qualification documents for the foreseeable :d