website statistics

Road Cycling Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

carivan

1 hour ago, dodge said:

It isn't a grand tour though.  The world championships time trial is a closer marker for the Olympics and I stand by my comment he isn't a medla contendor

And the point about Latvia, Iran etc is that Luxembourg might get zero ITT spots anyway, and that's not a big deal either way

We lose an, at the very least, potential outsider in favor of someone who is forever away. Then again, we all know the Olympics isn't the strongest competition in most sports.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

27 minutes ago, dcro said:

And there's always a possibility that they removed Olympic rankings because they realized it was different from the World rankings, even though it was not supposed to be. :p

Or they made it invisible as to avoid spoilers :banana:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, bestmen said:

Japanese are weak in cycling they will manage everything to eliminate the best

and then get the possibility to win medals

"But they have Grand Tour riders!" 

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Also, I can spot some inconsistencies in the World rankings. How come Austria is 14th? They were 18th in the latest Olympic rankings. Such rise is suspect at least, as they didn't get any Top 3 result last week.

Maybe not all races counted for Olympic rankings.

Wouldn't be the first time. I don't remember what, but some cock-up was spotted before the final ranking for the Worlds and it sounded like that wasn't a first either.

It's interesting to check how many individuals have qualified for women's road race over the years...

2008 - 6 cyclists

2012 - 10 cyclists

2016 - 12 cyclists

2020 - 17 (!) cyclists

So... This Individual Top 100 rule is not aging well... At all. :d So much so that in 2020 only 6 nations will have more than 2 cyclists. :wacko:

#banbestmen

14 minutos atrás, dcro disse:

It's interesting to check how many individuals have qualified for women's road race over the years...

2008 - 6 cyclists

2012 - 10 cyclists

2016 - 12 cyclists

2020 - 17 (!) cyclists

So... This Individual Top 100 rule is not aging well... At all. :d So much so that in 2020 only 6 nations will have more than 2 cyclists. :wacko:

And Brazil was the 109th :(

20 minut temu, dcro napisał:

2008 - 6 cyclists

2012 - 10 cyclists

2016 - 12 cyclists

2020 - 17 (!) cyclists

I hate that by this rule we lost one of three deserved quotas :mad:

19 minutes ago, dcro said:

2008 - 6 cyclists

2012 - 10 cyclists

2016 - 12 cyclists

2020 - 17 (!) cyclists

To be fair, the men would have a similar issue if 18 nations weren't automatically given a quota. If the same thing happened to the women (ranks 23-40 qualified one athlete). Only three nations would have used the individual quota.

So the only Iranian cyclist in Tokyo can start both in Road Race and ITT ? :d what's the point, I would reject the quota and stick with one event to at least finish the road race.

and btw when they were writing the rules. they didn't expect much difference between 30th in the ranking and the replacement (in this case Iran) Luxembourg could easily finish 29th instead of 30th if they were good enough.

I would be happy if South Korea could qualify in women's Road race (either through ranking or individual ranking) that could let Iran to qualify a female cyclist for the first time ever. unfortunately didn't happen :(

Edited by MHSN