website statistics

Mountain Bike Cycling Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Agger

23 minutes ago, phelps said:

which means that if Dascalu makes it on his own and gives his U-23 spot to GBR, then it's basically certain that they can do the trick by selecting Pidcock for the road race...

and they could even do that in any case by sacrificing another less competitive cyclist of a different discipline/event (thinking of some girls in road racing or MTB, if they are in qualifying position)...

I definitely see Pidcock at the start of the Olympic MTB race...

Mmh ... doesn't change anything in my opinion. Pidcock will be selected for the MTB event right away if GB gets the quota, no need for such a trick. If they don't, then he won't be able to replace anyone :mumble:The text doesn't say you can rob Peter to pay Paul and make your own agenda, UCI be like "ok the field for women's MTB will have 37 athletes and the men's 39 thanks to GB" :rolleyes:

On 12/05/2021 at 20:45, SalamAkhi said:

Mmh ... doesn't change anything in my opinion. Pidcock will be selected for the MTB event right away if GB gets the quota, no need for such a trick. If they don't, then he won't be able to replace anyone :mumble:The text doesn't say you can rob Peter to pay Paul and make your own agenda, UCI be like "ok the field for women's MTB will have 37 athletes and the men's 39 thanks to GB" :rolleyes:

Pidcock has already said that he is only going to start the MTB event in Tokyo.

By the way does anybody know how many places the GB women have in MTB? 1 or 2?

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

Pidcock has already said that he is only going to start the MTB event in Tokyo.

By the way does anybody know how many places the GB women have in MTB? 1 or 2?

I'm also unclear on this. They picked up one quota through their performance in the U-23s at the WC. They also appeared to be in line for two quotas through the rankings, although the updated rankings suggest that it will now be one. I also don't understand if quotas picked up in the rankings have any impact on the quota gained at the WC. The recent events surrounding the Romanian rider in the men's event have left me confused about this. My best guess is that Richards, Short and Last will be fighting for two spots between them.

4 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

I'm also unclear on this. They picked up one quota through their performance in the U-23s at the WC. They also appeared to be in line for two quotas through the rankings, although the updated rankings suggest that it will now be one. I also don't understand if quotas picked up in the rankings have any impact on the quota gained at the WC. The recent events surrounding the Romanian rider in the men's event have left me confused about this. My best guess is that Richards, Short and Last will be fighting for two spots between them.

Ranking quotas have top priority, then continental, then WCh. A nation once qualified is excluded from lower priority pathways. Different pathways do not add up.

Basically, the Worlds may have been held in 2019, but only now we will know who exactly earned those spots...

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Ranking quotas have top priority, then continental, then WCh. A nation once qualified is excluded from lower priority pathways. Different pathways do not add up.

Basically, the Worlds may have been held in 2019, but only now we will know who exactly earned those spots...

Thanks. In which case the answer to Dragon's question is likely to be one.

13 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Although GBR seem to have moved to 6th in the nations ranking?

Which would give them 2 places in Tokyo?

The 2021 nations ranking isn't relevant for the Olympics. It's the rankings posted by dcro and the latest world cup. Shouldn't have :GBR overtaking Denmark

7 minutes ago, Agger said:

The 2021 nations ranking isn't relevant for the Olympics. It's the rankings posted by dcro and the latest world cup. Shouldn't have :GBR overtaking Denmark

Ah well. Never mind...