website statistics

Men's 3x3 Basketball Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

• 9 months later...
10 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Universality-driven Olympic Qualifying Tournament is just  :crazy: 

Well, I like the idea behind it since the Olympics are becoming more of a large countries (Americas, Europe, and East Asian) affair

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

28 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well, I like the idea behind it since the Olympics are becoming more of a large countries (Americas, Europe, and East Asian) affair

I think continental representation will enough in this case too. 
But this UOQT is a monster.

"Only NOC (other than Host Country of the Olympic Games) who have not been represented in Basketball (irrespectively men or women) in the past 2 editions of the Olympic Games are eligible to participate in the UOQT" :mad:

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

I think continental representation will enough in this case too. 
But this UOQT is a monster.

"Only NOC (other than Host Country of the Olympic Games) who have not been represented in Basketball (irrespectively men or women) in the past 2 editions of the Olympic Games are eligible to participate in the UOQT" :mad:

It’s great news for Mali, Mongolia, Turkmenistan, and the majority of the Eastern Bloc

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The funniest thing, in my opinion, is the 8-team tournament for a sport that is like beach volley and would deserve 24 or 32 teams, or 16 if you don’t want multiple teams per nation. But it is coherent with IOC policy of team sports: odd qualification systems and reduced number of participants, except for soccer which dislikes olympics. It is true that in love wins who flees.

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s great news for Mali, Mongolia, Turkmenistan, and the majority of the Eastern Bloc

And bad news for overall quality. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

The funniest thing, in my opinion, is the 8-team tournament for a sport that is like beach volley and would deserve 24 or 32 teams, or 16 if you don’t want multiple teams per nation. But it is coherent with IOC policy of team sports: odd qualification systems and reduced number of participants, except for soccer which dislikes olympics. It is true that in love wins who flees.

It's just FIBA being greedy. They say that 3x3 brings "diversity" or whatever, but then they settle for 8-team tournament. Anything less than 12 teams is senseless by default, I'd rather not have it held at all.

#banbestmen