website statistics

Table Tennis ETTU European Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

Pretty disappointing early exit from Balážová, however she will very likely qualify through Ranking in both singles and mixed, so not a real disaster.

It is a bit worse for Pištej, his only chance to play in Tokyo also in the singles is only by qualifying from OQT, he still have the repechage round here, but I do not see it very realistic, I do fear he will be in Tokyo only for the mixed doubles with Barbora, both are still first non-qualified pair, so baring total completely unforeseen circumstances they should be already in (waiting for ITTU confirmation ofc)

8 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Wow can't believe Gionis lost. Hopefully he can still qualify for Tokyo via ranking.

He will have another chance to qualify in this tournament as all players who made Stage 2 (Knockout stage) will get another chance in Stage 3 (Repechage stage) to compete for the last 3 spots. Though his seeding will be worse as he lost early in Stage 2.

53 minutes ago, Wumo said:

He will have another chance to qualify in this tournament as all players who made Stage 2 (Knockout stage) will get another chance in Stage 3 (Repechage stage) to compete for the last 3 spots. Though his seeding will be worse as he lost early in Stage 2.

Thank you, I didn't know. So the two finalists make it and then three from Stage 3? I just assumed it was the four semifinalists plus one more quarterfinalist. As of now he's 7th in the ranking of those who haven't yet qualified, and Sirucek is 8th so hopefully he qualifies from here. Kou, Drinkhall and Robles are also in decent ranking positions of those still alive in Stage 2.

19 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Thank you, I didn't know. So the two finalists make it and then three from Stage 3? I just assumed it was the four semifinalists plus one more quarterfinalist. As of now he's 7th in the ranking of those who haven't yet qualified, and Sirucek is 8th so hopefully he qualifies from here. Kou, Drinkhall and Robles are also in decent ranking positions of those still alive in Stage 2.

The two winners of each semifinal, which are played tomorrow morning, will grab the first two spots. Every other player who has played in Stage 2 will then play against each other in a new knockout stage, Stage 3, over Saturday and Sunday. The two semifinal winners of Stage 3 will grab the third and fourth spot, and for the men there will be a 5th spot-playoff between the two losing semifinalists. 

The seeding for Stage 3 will be based on how far players came in Stage 2. 

You can see how the schedule is for Stage 3, which as mentioned, is played Saturday and Sunday:

schedule_3_guimares (4).pdf

16 minutes ago, Wumo said:

The two winners of each semifinal, which are played tomorrow morning, will grab the first two spots. Every other player who has played in Stage 2 will then play against each other in a new knockout stage, Stage 3, over Saturday and Sunday. The two semifinal winners of Stage 3 will grab the third and fourth spot, and for the men there will be a 5th spot-playoff between the two losing semifinalists. 

The seeding for Stage 3 will be based on how far players came in Stage 2. 

You can see how the schedule is for Stage 3, which as mentioned, is played Saturday and Sunday:

schedule_3_guimares (4).pdf 219.65 kB · 2 downloads

Does this tournament impact the rankings?

10 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Does this tournament impact the rankings?

From what I can see looking at the latest update of the Olympic Ranking it doesn't seem that the continental qualification events counts towards the ranking. But I'm far from sure about this. Also, I'm not sure what events there are left if any to be honest for singles players. I have only read a bit that they would maybe do something for mixed doubles. But again not sure. 

Just now, Wumo said:

From what I can see looking at the latest update of the Olympic Ranking it doesn't seem that the continental qualification events counts towards the ranking. But I'm far from sure about this. Also, I'm not sure what events there are left if any to be honest for singles players. I have only read a bit that they would maybe do something for mixed doubles. But again not sure. 

Okay thank you. As of now Gionis is in via ranking and there is still Stage 3 (plus players above/below him in rankings that can still qualify via Stage 2 and Stage 3)

I am very proud that Greece doesn't use Chinese table tennis players and we have our own athletes, so I really hope he can qualify because haven't failed to qualify in table tennis since 1992.