website statistics

Football European Super League

Federer91

Trolololo, this is amazing! I hoped ESL will flop but did not expect it happening so quickly.

As Vektor said it doesn't mean that dominant clubs will be less dominant but at least the plan aimed at the Americanization of European football has been stopped. And that's why the possible failure of the Super League is a big deal.

15 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

A total humiliation for the history books!! Once again it shows how these American tycoons have no idea what football is. You CAN'T buy the sport, this is not your American drivel systems, football is bigger than all of them combined! The leagues will kick your ass, the fans will kick your ass, the Governments will kick your ass.

They didn't underestimate the sport, they underestimated UEFA and FIFA, who just demonstrated how powerful they actually are. There can't be a successful coup when people in power have more powerful allies. The governments aren't protecting the sport, they are protecting their millionaire friends inside the UEFA. For example, Orbán obviously wants UEFA to have full control over European football when one of the wealthiest Hungarians, who is his friend, is a vice president of UEFA. 

this whole project was doomed to failure already a minute before the announcement of its creation. Therefore, it is incomprehensible to me as such experienced businessmens and economists could even think that it would be successful and were willing to sacrifice their well payed safe jobs and careers. it just doesn't make any sense and logic. The strange world and times we live in. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Vektor said:

They didn't underestimate the sport, they underestimated UEFA and FIFA, who just demonstrated how powerful they actually are. There can't be a successful coup when people in power have more powerful allies.

Might be true for Americans and Chinese owners, but do you really think that Perez and Agnelli (the two main promoters) did not have a clear picture of UEFA and FIFA's reach and allies? 

Just now, Dunadan said:

Might be true for Americans and Chinese owners, but do you really think that Perez and Agnelli (the two main promoters) did not have a clear picture of UEFA and FIFA's reach and allies? 

The only reasonable explanation I can think of that they thought that politicians and other allies of UEFA won't get involved as they have a worldwide pandemic on their hands to deal with.

4 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

I assume megalomania is a hella powerful drug. Pérez (and I assume Agnelli too ) was into this also because of lust for power and "to leave a legacy" (usually the motive of politicians when they do stupid things)