website statistics

Football European Super League

Federer91

The biggest scandal in sports is boiling. Various medias are reporting that 12 of the richest clubs have agreed to the Superleague and it will be unveiled tomorrow! Those in question are:

:ITA Juventus, Inter, Milan

:ESP Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid

:ENG Chelsea, Man. U, Man. C, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham

German and French teams have rejected the idea.

FIFA/UEFA came out with a big statement, that any club and their players who take part in such a coup will be thrown out and banned from any International, National and National Team competitions and lawsuits for 50 billion will follow. 

I hope they do go and ban them all. I am sick and tired of the rich getting richer and all the kneeling that has been done to them in the last 15 years. But their greed is endless.. Case point yet again, was the new CL format that was going to be voted, which shockingly benefits only the biggest clubs and would introduce the Wild Cards, if you fumble in the domestic league.. 

This thing ruined basketball in Europe and i thought football was way bigger to happen to it, but here we are. I hope they go further and have every Broadcaster that buys the Superleague to never have any other football rights given to them.

This was always just a matter of time, most people only care about the top clubs and their matches against each other, that's where the money is, both for the clubs and for broadcasters. 

49 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

This thing ruined basketball in Europe and i thought football was way bigger to happen to it, but here we are. I hope they go further and have every Broadcaster that buys the Superleague to never have any other football rights given to them.

Yeah, good luck with that. Broadcasters will prefer the super league over anything FIFA or UEFA can offer, as it can be the most watched sports league ever. 

16 minutes ago, Vektor said:

This was always just a matter of time, most people only care about the top clubs and their matches against each other, that's where the money is, both for the clubs and for broadcasters. 

Yeah, good luck with that. Broadcasters will prefer the super league over anything FIFA or UEFA can offer, as it can be the most watched sports league ever. 

Yes, those people are called gloryhunters and come from your Asian/US markets. I'm sure they would be ecstatic about the idea, since they care only about the shiny package.

Too bad they don't have the power real football fans have. I think you are underestimating what the fans of those clubs really want. From the stuff i've seen in the last few hours, everyone is against the Superleague and when you have those fierce english rivals unite, it says a lot for me. Let's see how far you can go, when your home fans boycott you. If those clubs think this last year was tough, they better be prepared.

As for the broadcasters, i don't know what the situation is in Hungary, but here, our God-awful domestic clubs and league still has the biggest ratings, even if they also show another 10 top Leagues. The notion that fans only want to watch 10 clubs, who play each other a gazillion times is very deceiving.

If you are having at the same time a Conference League match Levski Sofia - Fehervar and a CL one Liverpool - Inter Milan, there is no doubt that the Levski match will be the more watched one.

3 hours ago, Federer91 said:

FIFA/UEFA came out with a big statement, that any club and their players who take part in such a coup will be thrown out and banned from any International, National and National Team competitions and lawsuits for 50 billion will follow. 

Good luck in CAS when you say (let's take one player as example) Messi can't play for Argentina anymore because he played for FC Barcelona in a Superleague match...

And 50 billion, lol. Don't get me wrong, not a fan at all of this Superleague nonsense, but FIFA/UEFA's response is (expectedly) ridiculous.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Yes, those people are called gloryhunters and come from your Asian/US markets. I'm sure they would be ecstatic about the idea, since they care only about the shiny package.

Too bad they don't have the power real football fans have. I think you are underestimating what the fans of those clubs really want. From the stuff i've seen in the last few hours, everyone is against the Superleague and when you have those fierce english rivals unite, it says a lot for me. Let's see how far you can go, when your home fans boycott you. If those clubs think this last year was tough, they better be prepared.

As for the broadcasters, i don't know what the situation is in Hungary, but here, our God-awful domestic clubs and league still has the biggest ratings, even if they also show another 10 top Leagues. The notion that fans only want to watch 10 clubs, who play each other a gazillion times is very deceiving.

If you are having at the same time a Conference League match Levski Sofia - Fehervar and a CL one Liverpool - Inter Milan, there is no doubt that the Levski match will be the more watched one.

The Asian and US market combined is bigger than Europe. And just like with movies, the interest of Chinese people in particular will dictate a lot of things in the coming decades in the entertainment industries, which professional sport is part of. This is also why the idea of the 2022 Winter Olympics boycott is ludicrous, as if NHL would ever let this opportunity to market their sport in China go to waste. And home fans don't provide a significant income for the top clubs, it's all about the broadcasting rights and the merchandise they can sell. Literally every loyal fan of these 12 clubs can call it quits and never watch a single match again, and the clubs wouldn't notice it financially as the stadiums would still be full once COVID is over, just with even more "fake fans" than usual. 

I also find it silly that the fans are cheering for UEFA and FIFA. This fight isn't about the proposal of the Super League, it's about who will organize it and about how much the top clubs will get. UEFA wants to still be in charge, but they are also not fools, and know that they can make more money with a Super League. UEFA will just slowly turn the Champions League into a Super League if they reach an agreement with the top clubs. 

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Good luck in CAS when you say (let's take one player as example) Messi can't play for Argentina anymore because he played for FC Barcelona in a Superleague match...

And 50 billion, lol. Don't get me wrong, not a fan at all of this Superleague nonsense, but FIFA/UEFA's response is (expectedly) ridiculous.

Yeah, fifa and uefa have no leverage in this, legal nor financially speaking. It would be like NBA 2.0 (and even NBA is in better terms with FIBA than these clubs would be with Fifa).

I think the only way to fight it is philosophical. This league would be an admission that football is purely a business and nothing else.  

36 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Especially when the ISU recently lost a case of similar nature. I believe FINA has had similar troubles preventing swimmers from competing in the ISL as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela