website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics UEG European Championships 2021

Totallympics

15.366 for Petrounias :GRE on rings, and that is literally an unbeatable score. The only person that could come close to this score is Liu Yang from China.

On the other hand, :GBR is having a terrible day. Only 12.766 for Whitlock on the pommel horse, and 13.266 for Fraser on the parallel bars. Tulloch also had a low score on rings, 13.733.

:RUS is on their way to secure an Olympic quota with Prokopev.

:TUR has a group of very competent gymnasts. I can see the boys placing in the top 12 as a team for the 2024 Olympics. 

Ohh, the drama! Prokopev kind of bombed his last events and missed out a quota. Adem Asil from :TUR scored over 84 and it was a huge surprise. This could very well be enough for Olympic qualification, no question about it. I've never heard about him before!

17 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

So, apparently Larisa Iordache had a fever today. Very dangerous not only to her but to other gymnasts, and somewhat an irresponsible attitude from Romanian officials that could potentially threat all the other gymnasts if she has Covid.

Anyway, there's a chance she might miss the event finals, but I'm more worried about her condition right now, and if the other gymnasts are okay, of course.

News from Larisa, she suffered a kidney crisis just before the competition. That’s why she has a feverish state.

If Germany is indeed doing what I think, I would be very glad and I’d have to give big props to their new head coach (Valery Belenky). I always thought that the best strategy for a nation like Germany would be to focus on the all-around to qualify a team and then to have everyone only focusing on one or two events for the Olympics and not give a shit about individual/team all-around results at the Olympics.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

:ALB Petrov, :SLO Bertoncelj, :CRO Ude, :FRA Tomassone, :GBR Whitlock all missed a spot in the pommel horse final.

:HUN Vecsernyes, :NED Deurloo, :NED Zonderland, :CRO Srbic all missed a spot in the horizontal bar final.

Reigning world champion :GBR Joe Fraser missed the parallel bars final.

:UKR also had a poor performance overall.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

Ohh, the drama! Prokopev kind of bombed his last events and missed out a quota. Adem Asil from :TUR scored over 84 and it was a huge surprise. This could very well be enough for Olympic qualification, no question about it. I've never heard about him before!

He used to be known as Abdelrahman Elgamal and competed for Egypt

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

:ALB Petrov, :SLO Bertoncelj, :CRO Ude, :FRA Tomassone, :GBR Whitlock all missed a spot in the pommel horse final.

:HUN Vecsernyes, :NED Deurloo, :NED Zonderland, :CRO Srbic all missed a spot in the horizontal bar final.

Reigning world champion :GBR Joe Fraser missed the parallel bars final.

:UKR also had a poor performance overall.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Any chance that them missing the final had nothing to do with their own shape/the level of competition and instead was a result of them only using this as training for the Olympics? In other words: Should we see this as any indication for the Olympics?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

19 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Any chance that them missing the final had nothing to do with their own shape/the level of competition and instead was a result of them only using this as training for the Olympics? In other words: Should we see this as any indication for the Olympics?

Good question. It's dangerous to take anything here as an indication of what will happen at the Olympics, but the fact that all of them had mistakes in their best events should be a warning: they have to focus on being consistent from now on. I wouldn't be worried if the Olympics were to take place in October, but July is just around the corner.

Take Petrounias, for example: he has to score 15.334 or better at the Doha World Cup if he wants to go to the Olympics, and he scored 15.366 here. It's too close for comfort, of course, but he's not "training" his way to this event. He's taking it very seriously.