website statistics

Men's Baseball Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

dcro

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, NaBUru38 said:

I think that the future of international baseball should be tours, like in rugby union.

Imagine if United States toured East Asia, or if Japan toured the Americas.

Is there really demand for that? In the US at least International baseball is an afterthought at best - I'm pretty sure the Little League World Series (which is played by literal pre-pubescent children) is a bigger deal than any International Baseball event here.

16 ore fa, NaBUru38 ha scritto:

Exactly, that's why they should tour other countries. The Tokyo Dome or Foro Sol would sell out in minutes.

baseball is already a big thing (actually, the National sport) in Japan (and also in Korea and Chinese Taipei)...

and also for them, their own leagues and the North-American MLB are the most important thing, sometimes the only that really matters...

and in the other Central-American Countries (where Baseball is the main sport) we have the same situation: the MLB has basically all the attention of the media...

even here in Italy, we have quite a good number of games (drawing a reasonable attention) on our main pay-tv (Sky Italia) of the MLB, but no network following carefully our National league nor the National team games (normally we only have the final series of our league or the European Champs final, if we make it, on our tv networks)...

so, in the end, I don't see any chance for Baseball to change things in the future...especially because the main protagonists themselves are not interested in doing it...

• 6 months later...

meanwhile the European qualification tournament will be played in September almost certainly in Italy (historical baseball cities Bologna and Parma are the proposed venues)...

that time period would eventually hurt Italy and the Netherlands (ITA more than NED) a lot (as it means that they won't be able to start their MLB players), even if I think that there's no chance any other European Nation can upset both of them (maybe 1, but definitely not 2)...

• 1 month later...